Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-17-2018, 11:33 AM   #1
Genevieve
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default G1 reeds in Shepherd chanter

I just spent a small fortune on five easy G1 reeds for my Shepherd chanters. I am finding that I need to strip nearly all the hemp off each one in order to get the reed sharp enough and, even then, the B is very flat. (My chanters are not carved). This same pattern has occurred with four of the reeds. Is this a fundamental incompatibility between reed make and chanter? If so, any suggestions as to how to address it? Do I need to confine myself to easy Shepherd reeds? Are there any makers out there capable of making solo quality easy chanter reeds? All thoughts and suggestions will be much appreciated.
Genevieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 06-17-2018, 02:13 PM   #2
DNorwood
Forum Member

Default Re: G1 reeds in Shepherd chanter

According to some, unless you are a top-tier player then you kinda get what reed makers grab from the box. (documented...hardly refuted)

I would contact Shawn Husk at Husk reeds. Seems a stand-up guy.

Good luck and geeez - I feel bad for ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genevieve View Post
I just spent a small fortune on five easy G1 reeds for my Shepherd chanters. I am finding that I need to strip nearly all the hemp off each one in order to get the reed sharp enough and, even then, the B is very flat. (My chanters are not carved). This same pattern has occurred with four of the reeds. Is this a fundamental incompatibility between reed make and chanter? If so, any suggestions as to how to address it? Do I need to confine myself to easy Shepherd reeds? Are there any makers out there capable of making solo quality easy chanter reeds? All thoughts and suggestions will be much appreciated.
DNorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 02:33 PM   #3
MacGiollaEoin
Forum Regular

Having never played a G1 reed I can't speak to their compatibility with Shepherd chanters. I do play a Shepherd chanter though, and I have also been having flat B issues recently.
I am currently playing an Abedour Emerald reed, and I was in the prizes last weekend in two of my events at the NJ Irish Festival solo competitions. So it seems to be a fairly satisfactory reed for competition.
What I have done to sharpen up the B in the past is to scrape (lightly!) or sand (lightly!) the top 1/4"-3/8" of the reed, not letting the lips get too thin. So go lightly and test often till you get the desired result. It has worked for me, but it may ruin your reed, so there it is.
Good luck.
Old 06-17-2018, 03:49 PM   #4
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:

Do I need to confine myself to easy Shepherd reeds?
Why Not? Explain. color me surprised

Fwiw Ive been playing Shepherd standard easy/medium strength ( ca 28-30 h2o) reeds in my Mccallum poly and McC2 wood chanters for at least 10 years with barely an issue. Are you using a tuner...to conform you are chasing the pitch the specific chanter is designed to play at?
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 04:53 PM   #5
piper_hm
Forum Gold Medal

Craig Sutherland plays a G1 Platinum in a Shepherd chanter...works well for him.

Don't expect to order 5 reeds and have them all work with YOUR chanter out of the box. 1 might be great, 3 need work and 1 not even close

Last edited by piper_hm; 06-17-2018 at 04:55 PM.
piper_hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 04:23 AM   #6
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

G1 and Shepherd chanters are practically the same thing.

What pitch are you trying to achieve? What is your setup (bag, moisture control, etc)? What is your local climate like?
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:16 AM   #7
Shawn Husk
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post
G1 and Shepherd chanters are practically the same thing.
Hi Calum, not trying to argue, but I respectfully disagree. I don't find these two chanters to be the same at all. At least not with the examples I have on hand.

www.huskreeds.com
Shawn Husk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:41 AM   #8
Potsdam
Forum Member

I find that many chanters, no matter how well set up, have flat Bs. A friend of mine who pipe majors a grade 3 band pointed it out and had a pet theory that it was due to climate differences between Scottish and North American air (specifically the dryer climate we have in Ottawa).

Every chanter that I've played has had a touch of carving on the B.
Carving the B might be the simplest solution to your problem.
Another option is to set the chanter up with a touch of tape on each note except the B.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Potsdam; 06-19-2018 at 08:54 AM.
Potsdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 01:57 PM   #9
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Regular

Quote:
I am finding that I need to strip nearly all the hemp off each one in order to get the reed sharp enough
Do you mean to balance the chanter or seek a particular Hz for LA?

I have used them in the past in an early uncarved MK3 Shepherd with some success. But yes, I do find that Shepherd reeds work the best, despite experimenting with lots of different reed makes (got another 3 here in the post this week to try).
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:38 PM   #10
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Shawn, that's interesting - obviously the G1 is a higher pitched beast, but I've found their behaviour to be similar. What sort of differences have you noticed?

On flat Bs, I can't comment whether the North American climate makes it worse, but I can assure you that plenty soloists over here are more than happy with their flat Bs
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote