Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other (not GH) Bagpipes > Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes + For all types of (non GH) Bagpiping discussions.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-05-2018, 01:07 PM   #11
Michael Kazmierski Dunn
Forum Regular

Location: College: Alma, Michigan, USA / Home: Rockford, Michigan, USA
Default Re: A female Italian Zampogna player, Maria Varali

Pipers / Zampognari:
Here's another fluent English-speaking zampogna player you can feel free to contact. He is most known as an ethomusicologist who recorded countless CD's of zampogna music, as well as compiler of old tapes of zampogna players. He is also a dealer of all things zampogna / ciaramella, as well as a fluent English speaker as I said, and in fact he has been working with American customers before.
Quirino Valvano, Zampogna maker, also makes the (tonally worst) Ciaramellas:
Quirino - ZampognePollinoQuirino.IT
Gianluca Zammarelli, primarily a Ciaramella maker, singer, and multiinstrumentalist: Ciaramella, Zampogna, accordion (organetto), harmonica (Armonica), tambourine (Tamburello) and guitar (Chitarra):
on Facebook. Alternatively, either GianlucaZammarelli or Gianluca.Zammarelli - either way is at Gmail
Nicola Scaldaferri: zampogna player, dealer in all things zampogna, has worked with Americans
nicola.scaldaferri - unimi.it
For sake of spamming, I did not include the @ symbol, so it may be difficult for those who are not too familiar with emails. If you simply replace the hyphen with @.
So if you think you're out of the loop when it comes to the zampogna, don't worry. There are at least three English-speaking zampogna or ciaramella experts out there to help.
Just wanted to pass that along.
And getting back to the original topic - who really knows if Maria Varali speaks English? If she did, perhaps we can invite her to these forums.
Michael Kazmierski Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 09-05-2018, 01:10 PM   #12
Michael Kazmierski Dunn
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Kazmierski Dunn View Post
Pipers / Zampognari:
Here's another fluent English-speaking zampogna player you can feel free to contact. He is most known as an ethomusicologist who recorded countless CD's of zampogna music, as well as compiler of old tapes of zampogna players. He is also a dealer of all things zampogna / ciaramella, as well as a fluent English speaker as I said, and in fact he has been working with American customers before.
Quirino Valvano, Zampogna maker, also makes the (tonally worst) Ciaramellas:
Quirino - ZampognePollinoQuirino.IT
Gianluca Zammarelli, primarily a Ciaramella maker, singer, and multiinstrumentalist: Ciaramella, Zampogna, accordion (organetto), harmonica (Armonica), tambourine (Tamburello) and guitar (Chitarra):
on Facebook. Alternatively, either GianlucaZammarelli or Gianluca.Zammarelli - either way is at Gmail
Nicola Scaldaferri: zampogna player, dealer in all things zampogna, has worked with Americans
nicola.scaldaferri - unimi.it
For sake of spamming, I did not include the @ symbol, so it may be difficult for those who are not too familiar with emails. If you simply replace the hyphen with @.
So if you think you're out of the loop when it comes to the zampogna, don't worry. There are at least three English-speaking zampogna or ciaramella experts out there to help.
Just wanted to pass that along.
And getting back to the original topic - who really knows if Maria Varali speaks English? If she did, perhaps we can invite her to these forums.
I should also amend that Nicola is a man, not a woman. It may sound a bit strange to hear of a male name ending in A in Italy, but Nicola is Nicholas / Nick, although for females it means Nicole.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:51 PM   #13
Michael Kazmierski Dunn
Forum Regular

If I may, I'm wondering what other people thought of the modern Zampogna quartet arrangements? What about the video clip of Maria Varali playing? Someone told me that Maria Varali speaks English! Any Italian speakers out there can you possibly do me a favor and translate what the heck Maria is saying, please? Google Translator cannot translate speech...
Old 10-28-2018, 06:59 PM   #14
Ar Soner
Forum Clasp

Michael,

in the first video, she only explains that she fell in love with this instrument because she had brothers who played it as well as the ciaramella.
There is no tradition of women playing these pipes, though a few of them now play.
It is a difficult instrument as can be any other for a beginner.

This is mainly the content of her speech.
Ar Soner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 07:27 PM   #15
Michael Kazmierski Dunn
Forum Regular

Thanks. From this, I can understand what Maria's getting across to us. My guess is that this is basically how other women feel about playing bagpipes of any kind...
I couldn't have understood it without a translation. Thanks again! I'll bet that if my opera-singing friend Cecelia was in touch with me she would have said the same thing you did...
Old 11-10-2018, 11:30 AM   #16
Ar Soner
Forum Clasp

Hi Michael,

do you know the launeddas ?

It is the ancestor of the modern bagpipes.
Some women play them as well.
Ar Soner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 12:29 PM   #17
Michael Kazmierski Dunn
Forum Regular

Yes, I've actually heard of this instrument before. It was first the Wikipedia article about the Zampogna (in serious need of expatiation by the way) that introduced me to it, followed later by my looking up Barnaby Brown who also plays it. I think it's a fantastic instrument, but maintaining it and playing it sounds like a real nightmare!
I'm sure Maria isn't one of these Triplepipers though... Although I wasn't too familiar with whatever name it was called like you said, I knew it better as the Triplepipe. Similarly, not to digress too much but I have a blind opera singing friend named Denise Lee (best voice in the world by the way), whose husband plays the accordion in the traditional way, more like the organ. Denise called it a rather interesting name. Quoted straight from one of Denise' emails to me:
"I'm lucky, in that my husband is my accompanist, so we are able to make it very much a family event when we do things like this. He plays a very underappreciated instrument, is a brilliant pianist, but he is also a classical vayanist, which you may know as a button accordion. We use it like a chamber organ with Early Music, and a lot of handelle and Bach and even back into Renaissance repertoire. it works very well and is extremely transportable" - Denise Lee
I don't think the Zampogna has other weird names though, but I do remember hearing somewhere that the single-reed Zampognas have weird names such as A Paro, Conflentana, Ciaramedda, etc. But musically they are absolutely similar, in fact I don't even know if there even is a difference.

Just a final note, I've corresponded with Simone Sottanella who knows Maria all too well, and he told me that Irina Di Marco is another up-and-coming female Zampogna player. Unfortunately I do not think there any videos of Irina playing, but I trust Simone...
Old 11-19-2018, 02:36 PM   #18
Michael Kazmierski Dunn
Forum Regular

Pipers / Zampognari:
I found another video, this time literally massed Zampognas, Ciaramellas and drums conducted by Carlo Michitti. Does anyone know if Maria is in this ensemble?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w0R...ki4lGJLyw&t=0s
And for comparison the video of Maria on the Zampogna so you can see if she's among the massed ensemble:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPD1wwoaCaI
Who knows if there are any more videos of Maria...
Also note that maria mostly plays Ciaramella, so you might not see her on Zampogna. Zampogna playing is just on the side for her. Then again, some of the top Zampogna players can play Ciaramella, but they're not as good on the Ciaramella and more adept at the Zampogna...

Last edited by Michael Kazmierski Dunn; 11-19-2018 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention a little comment about Maria
Old 12-15-2018, 09:57 AM   #19
Dave R
Forum Gold Medal

Eric Montbel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Erx0mxmKJ4k

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/daverowlands
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 04:26 PM   #20
Michael Kazmierski Dunn
Forum Regular

I think that's Marco Tomassi on the Zampogna, and Eric Montbel on the French pipes whatever they're called. On the subject of female pipers, I believe Susana Ceivane is featured on Marco's album as well playing Gaitas, but sadly, Maria isn't on there.
BTW, someone told me that Maria does speak English and that she is on Facebook.