Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Adult Pipers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Adult Pipers Related to Adult piping or pipers, this is the place.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-10-2003, 09:24 AM   #1
Richard Mao

Default False teeth..affected by GHB playing?

Hi...

interviewing a prospective student...

who has false teeth...

he questioned whether by the time he was on full pipes it would be better to remove the appliance while playing on/marching with the full pipes...

I had no experience...told him I'd consult/research... can anyone help with personal experiences/advice?

(Would your answer change if it was a removable bridge across the front 4 teeth and anchored on the eyeteeth?..... another prospect who didn't follow through)...

Do I assume correctly that the false teeth shouldn't be affected by practice chanter playing?

TIA

'I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order'.
Mr Eric Morecombe.

Richard Mao, The Peking Piper ( PekingPiper@mao.org )
Old 04-10-2003, 09:59 AM   #2
Ken MacKenzie
Super Mod
Wizard of Oz

Default Re: False teeth..affected by GHB playing?

I'm not user of these appliances, yet, but over the years have known many who have all types from full plates to bridges of various sizes and none of them seemed to have had problems.

I recall a story from the dim past about a piper who was seen to stomp his plate into the turf publicly but I can't recall the details. It involved one of the many characters that populate our game and the details escape me.

I also remember P/M James Watt who was equipped with both upper and lower plates and when he was testing a reed by mouth blowing it, he would remove his teeth and blow. He took on the appearance of a greedy squirrel with his cheeks inflated and his gums gripping the reed. It was a sight that sent many pipers scurrying for cover lest they erupt in gales of laughter in sight of this ever tempramental P/M.

So, no Richard, I don't think that this would be an impediment to playing, but it has at times provided colourful comic relief...

Ken
Ken MacKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 10:20 AM   #3
laughingman
Forum Regular

Busily restraining myself so as not to offend. This thread is just too pregnent with possibilities.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
Soren Kierkegaard
laughingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 03:07 PM   #4
Jürgen Rech
Forum Clasp

we (should) hold the blowpipe rather with our lips than with more or less false teeth that little grip that we allow us to do with our teeth only because it's more comfortable while taking breaths can be done with really any teeth, denture or gum...

jurgen
Old 04-10-2003, 03:42 PM   #5
lonewlf4
Forum Regular

My uncle and my dad used to remove their top plates when they piped. The air pressure used to get under the plate and pop it down. However, my daughter doesn't have to remove her retainer to play - it stays put.
Old 04-10-2003, 04:10 PM   #6
Richard Strayer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jürgen Rech:
we (should) hold the blowpipe rather with our lips than with more or less false teeth that little grip that we allow us to do with our teeth only because it's more comfortable while taking breaths can be done with really any teeth, denture or gum...

jurgen
I think jurgen is on to something here. I'm relatively new to piping, and have only been on the practice chanter for the past 6 months. In that time, for some reason it has never ocurred to me to bite down on the mouthpiece - despite seeing everyone else in my beginner's group add the little bits of rubber tubing to their PCs. To me it just never seemed necessary to bite down.

However, since I started practicing on the pipes a few weeks ago I've begun to bite down on the GHB blowpipe - I even added the little bits of rubber tubing to my blowpipe mouthpiece, to cusion my teeth. It's not like I really need to either - the blowpipe doesn't go flying out of my mouth if I don't - I think it's more psychological than anything. Despite picking up the new habit on the GHB, I still don't bite down when I'm just on the PC.

So now I'm curious to know is there anyone that doesn't routinely bite down when they blow their pipes? Is it really necessary, or is it just done from a (perhaps false) perception that it's necessary? My P/M showed me how to tie-in the blowpipe so that it's angled straight into my mouth, and basically stays there. I wonder if for some it's just a setup issue?

I realize that this question is tangential to the original post, but I think in answering this you also address the fundamental issue implied by the topic.
Old 04-10-2003, 04:40 PM   #7
Dave Sanderson
Holy smoking keyboard!

Hi Drone:

I am with you, it never occured to me to bite down on the mouth piece so I never picked up the habit. Your mouth piece shouldn't look like the dog got a hold of it.

The test to Grade 1 is to drop and give 20 push ups with lips only, just kidding.

Dave
Old 04-13-2003, 04:54 AM   #8
Lawrie Silverberg
Forum Member

If the partial dentures are well fitting then they shouldn't be a problem at all, even if biting the blowpipe. A full upper denture might be a problem as one way of removing it is by closing your lips and blowing. Might need some stickum for that. A full lower denture can be tamed by holding the blowpipe off to the side as many pipers do.

Lawrie DDS
Lawrie Silverberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 09:21 AM   #9
Iain Sherwood
Holy smoking keyboard!

An old friend of mine always removed his upper plate before playing. His reason? It could come loose and possibly lodge in the back of his throat.

Not a pretty picture.
Iain Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 11:20 PM   #10
Reinhold
Forum Member

well, I've an upper plate, so I can talk about that problem with experience.
There is no problem with the air pressure, at least not with a well fitted plate.
But there is the problem that the mouthpiece may touch the upper plate and that is an annoying feeling.
The simple solution : bend the mouthpiece! This is easily done by by making the mouthpiece hot with a propane torch or a good hairdryer. Then bend it appr. 20 grades.
That helps
reinhold