Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-08-2018, 11:40 AM   #1
The DudeHammer
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Best Chanter and Drone Tuner for Band?

Hello,

I'm a piper with a newly Grade 4 pipe band from Madison, Wisconsin (U.S.). For as long as I've been with the band we've used the HBT2 tuner for both our drones and chanter, and my feelings on it are mixed. It did well enough to get reasonable tone in grade 5 (not that the standards are all that high) and is easy to use. However, it has a couple problems: it has trouble picking up high hand notes (especially hG), and it can't get the drones reliably close (although it isn't terrible on this count). I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations on what, if anything, would work better. Ideally its something that can get chanters quickly and accurately and also do double duty as a drone tuner (although separate tuners would not be the end of the world). It's a band purchase so price isn't an obstacle. I've heard good things about the Strobe+ and the Braw app, but am wondering what people think.

Thanks!

Rhys O'Higgins, Piper, Madison W.I.
The DudeHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 10-08-2018, 11:57 AM   #2
tommy4
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Re: Best Chanter and Drone Tuner for Band?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DudeHammer View Post
Hello,

I'm a piper with a newly Grade 4 pipe band from Madison, Wisconsin (U.S.). For as long as I've been with the band we've used the HBT2 tuner for both our drones and chanter, and my feelings on it are mixed. It did well enough to get reasonable tone in grade 5 (not that the standards are all that high) and is easy to use. However, it has a couple problems: it has trouble picking up high hand notes (especially hG), and it can't get the drones reliably close (although it isn't terrible on this count). I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations on what, if anything, would work better. Ideally its something that can get chanters quickly and accurately and also do double duty as a drone tuner (although separate tuners would not be the end of the world). It's a band purchase so price isn't an obstacle. I've heard good things about the Strobe+ and the Braw app, but am wondering what people think.

Thanks!

Rhys O'Higgins, Piper, Madison W.I.
Try using the contact clamp that plugs into it. The Peterson tuner works well for bands also.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
tommy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 01:55 PM   #3
montstros1ty
Forum Member

Had good success with Braw for quickly setting chanters, and a Blair Pro with external mic mount for locking drones in G3/4.
montstros1ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 01:59 PM   #4
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

We use the Peterson Strobo tuner for all of our tuning purposes.

A few people in the band own the stand-alone model, I bought the app. The stand-alone is easier to work with, but the app (once calibrated to the correct pitch) is just as easy. Just make sure you have the GHB sweetener on if you plan on using it to tune chanters.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:20 PM   #5
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Fogelman View Post
We use the Peterson Strobo tuner for all of our tuning purposes.

A few people in the band own the stand-alone model, I bought the app. The stand-alone is easier to work with, but the app (once calibrated to the correct pitch) is just as easy. Just make sure you have the GHB sweetener on if you plan on using it to tune chanters.
One way would be to use a tuning device such as the HBT or Peterson.

I recently used the BeeFlat app to tune drones pre-comp for a band. I liked it a lot - quick and easy to read.

For chanters, I have known a number of bands that used the PM's chanter to tune other chanters. This relied on the PM tuning his/her chanter themselves either by ear or tuner/app. Then the PM played their chanter alongside a each player tuning by ear. If the PM had to squeeze harder to get a particular note tuned it meant the piper's note was sharp and vice-versa.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:25 PM   #6
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Our PM has been using the Braw Tuner app on his phone and it's the best thing I've seen for tuning chanters.

It's not like anything else I've seen. It doesn't have a needle that changes while you play and goes off somewhere when you change notes or stop playing.

Rather, it creates a permanent map or chart of your chanter (showing the position of every note) which is continuously updated as you play, but remains in place when you stop playing, so you can repeatedly refer to it as you adjust the tape on the various holes of your chanter.

It's sensitive; when you tune your chanter perfectly by ear it shows up as perfect on the chart, and when the chart shows one of your notes is a tad sharp or flat you can rest assured that it is, and you can quickly adjust tape to fix it.

Tune up each piper's chanter individually with the app and all the pipers will be in tune when they circle up. There's no wondering "who has the flat F?" because there won't be a flat F. It will have already been dealt with when you tuned up the chanters individually. The Braw app takes out all the guesswork.

Personally for tuning drones I prefer the traditional cheap Korg tuner.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:09 PM   #7
Dan Bell
Forum Clasp

I use a Yamane BT-3A for my grade 3 band, and with the grade 2 band that I do sound for. I've probably used almost every commercially-available tuner, and this is the one I keep going back to.
Dan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:15 AM   #8
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

BTW I mentioned above using the normal cheap Korg tuner for the drones.

Now I'm agreeing with others who have said it's not accurate enough, because yesterday I was testing the scale of one of my Low Whistles on the Braw tuner (it works on whistles and uilleann pipes too) and just for yucks turned on the Korg tuner and looked at both. It was amazing how much more detailed/accurate the Braw analysis of the scale was than what the Korg needle showed.

So it's the Braw for the drones too from now on.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:11 AM   #9
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

I like how the Murray Blair tuner works for chanters. Really easy to use, and it shows you how steady your blowing is.

I also like the Peterson app, which can help you diagnose wonky reed issues (it shows how each of the harmonics is tuning independently.

I have an old iPhone that I only use for tuner apps.

Our band uses a hardware Peterson tuner, which seems to work really well. One key to using a tuner to tune chanters is to not let the piper see the tuner. If the piper sees the tuner moving, there's a natural tendency to tune their blowing.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:31 PM   #10
hooks
Forum Silver Medal

No doubt about it.

It's the Braw app hands down. Everything Panceltic said and more.

Dave