Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-25-2018, 05:28 AM   #1
celtickc86
Forum Member

Default Microphone recommendation for Chromebook?

I wasn't sure where to put this question, but here it is.

Those of you who take/give online lessons, what microphone do you recommend? I have a Chromebook and the microphone is terrible. I think the built-in webcam will work just fine so I just need to upgrade the audio end.

Budget-friendly recommendations are greatly appreciated!
celtickc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 09-25-2018, 12:53 PM   #2
Randy Erickson
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: Microphone recommendation for Chromebook?

I use a regular PC, but I've been very happy with the Snowball from Blue Microphones for nearly four years now.
Randy Erickson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:42 PM   #3
CelticHiker
Forum Regular

I always recommend the Blue Yeti. That being said, I haven't actually used it with a Chromebook, and according to the internet it may or may not be supported depending on which device you have (and if it says it on the internet, it has to be true right ), so you will want to double check that what ever mic you end up going with is supported with your specific model of Chromebook before shelling out the roughly $100 its going to cost (you can find them on sale for less, but with mics you typically get what you pay for). I've been using a Blue Yeti since I started taking Skype lessons in 2009, and if it will work with your system, I think its one of the most cost effective ways to go. I originally started out using the built in webcam mic, but it didn't work well when playing the full pipes. I did a little research and was pointed to the Blue Snowball mic, but my instructor didn't feel that it was that much better than the webcam, so during the return process, I stumbled on the Yeti, and found that it did the trick, and my instructor really liked the sound (in fact you still recommends his new students consider getting one I believe).

Even after all these years, and lots of moving around, and storing, I continue to find that it performs flawlessly no matter if I'm talking, playing the PC, or playing the full pipes (all of which I do pretty much every lesson without making any adjustments to the mic itself or the gain adjustment in Skype). It has a built in gain adjustment that really helps dial the sound level in if your going to be playing the full pipes and your getting distortion or clipping, and it contains some really good mic hardware.

Another thing to remember is that the location you are having your lesson in can make a big difference. The first location I did Skype lessons was in a smaller dining room with hardwood floors and plaster ceiling and walls, and the only furniture was the wood table and chairs, so it wasn't a great location to try and play the pipes and expect a relatively inexpensive mic (and $100 is an inexpensive mic in the general scheme of things) to work, but the Yeti managed it without issue. I now have my lessons in an room with carpeted floors, upholstered furniture like a couch and chairs, and a high, a-frame type ceiling, so its a much better area to begin with and the Yeti still does great. That being said, the Snowball would have likely been fine in the new location, and its a bit cheaper, so you may want to consider it as well?

Hope that helps.

Last edited by CelticHiker; 09-25-2018 at 02:57 PM.
CelticHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:20 PM   #4
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtickc86 View Post
I wasn't sure where to put this question, but here it is.

Those of you who take/give online lessons, what microphone do you recommend? I have a Chromebook and the microphone is terrible. I think the built-in webcam will work just fine so I just need to upgrade the audio end.

Budget-friendly recommendations are greatly appreciated!
There is a forum for computer-related questions- Webmaster and Software might be the best place to post this question.