Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-27-2018, 09:38 AM   #1
jvfreeman@live.com
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default GigMaster vs. GigSalad, update 2018

Dear fellow gigging pipers,

After a couple of years, I am sharing an update of my experiences with the two online booking giants, GigMasters and GigSalad. For 3+ months there have been no leads on GigMasters for me or any other pipers (factoring out red tide here in Fl), but there have been almost daily leads just outside of my service range coming from GigSalad for over two months. I no longer pay for memberships but the free profile on GigSalad does still yields occasional gigs. I suspect GigSalad is generating a lot of fake leads, evidence to suspect fake piper profiles, a weird long letter from their CEO last year and I have had two recent cancellations after booking during this "rush of activity". Anybody else having the same results with these sites? My personal website and SEO are doing alright for me, business picking up with snowbirds returning. Something is funny about these two companies.

Also, has anything shifted in the bagpiping gig market? Is hiring a bagpiper going out of style with younger generations? Is there something new I'm missing with generating leads? Anyone have results with The Knot Pro, House of Piping or WeddingWire?

Thanks,
Jim
jvfreeman@live.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 10-27-2018, 01:32 PM   #2
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo
Default Re: GigMaster vs. GigSalad, update 2018

FWIW, GigMasters.com is owned by The Knot. I'm still getting leads and booking gigs from both online services (and other sources). Maybe an issue with your locale?
Old 10-27-2018, 06:06 PM   #3
jvfreeman@live.com
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Could well be locale and red tide, and a region of Fl based heavily on retirees has unique market conditions. The usual early rush of Fall golf resort gigs has been nonexistent. First four years here were really good but gigs are now declining since a weak March. No beach action is understandable for the foreseeable future. Another thing I'm seeing is the extinction of retirement community/nursing home gigs, which were lucrative everywhere up until 2014/15. They have tightened up purse strings, and the few times they call they want an hour of straight music for $75-$100. And, some golf resorts and courses are starting to require musicians to buy $100 liability policies for a single event.
jvfreeman@live.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 05:46 AM   #4
ralph
Forum Silver Medal

I have the free version of.gigmasters, and even with that usually get more than enough leads over the summer for weddings. This year i didnt get any, so something seemed different, not sure the cause though.
ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 09:30 AM   #5
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph

I have the free version of.gigmasters, and even with that usually get more than enough leads over the summer for weddings. This year i didnt get any, so something seemed different, not sure the cause though.

ralph,

If I may... what...pray tell... is the free version of Gig Masters?

Many thanks!!

Pip01
Old 10-28-2018, 11:00 AM   #6
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip01 View Post
ralph,

If I may... what...pray tell... is the free version of Gig Masters?

Many thanks!!

Pip01
The basic membership is free in that you're not paying for a featured or professional profile- which have additional perks, including, I believe, better search placement. You still have to pay a booking fee ( Minimum $20, or 5% of your fee, whichever is higher). I roll the booking fee into my quoted fee to the client, so that part's a wash.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:44 PM   #7
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Many thanks, Klondike, as I am still rather way behind
the curve it such on-line matters.

And, a question, and to all, about The House of Piping:
Do any here use it, and if so... to what results?

Regards to All,

Pip01

Old 10-29-2018, 12:56 PM   #8
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

I'm listed on both of them in addition to the AFM "GoPro" website and my own website. I get more requests than I take from all of the sites. Some clients find my site through Google, and some get to me through referrals, but the most of my gigs come from GigMasters and GigSalad. About 60 or more per year for the last three years or so. I limit how far I'll travel to play a gig- just around Boston and the South Shore, except for exceptional reasons- such as I played in Arlington, VA this past weekend. Otherwise I'm about as busy as I want to be.