Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Reviews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reviews Reviews of CDs, Music Books, DVDs, etc.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-27-2018, 09:04 PM   #1
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

Default Review: Fusion Bagpipe Case

Hi all,

I was taking photos to demonstrate the capabilities of the Fusion Bagpipe Case, and ended up deciding to try a video instead.

I uploaded it to my youtube, and can be viewed here if you're curious about the case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjnoeemNAW0

Hoping that folks will find it useful.

Cheers,
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 10-30-2018, 05:55 AM   #2
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Review: Fusion Bagpipe Case

Thanks for the video!

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Better than either is a narrated video, for getting a clear idea of how something works.

The one thing that surprises me is how long the case is. I read online that the interior is nearly 25" long. I just measured my pipes (old Lawries) and the tenors, assembled with some hemp showing, from the tops to the bottom of the bag are 21.5" long. A 22" interior length would be plenty.

I have a couple old-school wooden pipe boxes around and it's amazing how small they are. Yet generations of pipers used them.

BTW looking at the Fusion site (they make gig bags for a variety of instruments) reminded me about a difference in piper-speak and mainstream musician-speak. We pipers call everything we carry pipes in a "case" while in the ordinary music world a "case" is a hardshell thing and softshell cloth things are called "gig bags".

So the Fusion firm uses ordinary music lingo for this, and calls it the Urban Bagpipe Gig Bag:

https://www.fusion-bags.com/products...agpipe-gig-bag

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 10-30-2018 at 06:00 AM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:23 AM   #3
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
Thanks for the video!

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Better than either is a narrated video, for getting a clear idea of how something works.

The one thing that surprises me is how long the case is. I read online that the interior is nearly 25" long. I just measured my pipes (old Lawries) and the tenors, assembled with some hemp showing, from the tops to the bottom of the bag are 21.5" long. A 22" interior length would be plenty.

I have a couple old-school wooden pipe boxes around and it's amazing how small they are. Yet generations of pipers used them.

BTW looking at the Fusion site (they make gig bags for a variety of instruments) reminded me about a difference in piper-speak and mainstream musician-speak. We pipers call everything we carry pipes in a "case" while in the ordinary music world a "case" is a hardshell thing and softshell cloth things are called "gig bags".

So the Fusion firm uses ordinary music lingo for this, and calls it the Urban Bagpipe Gig Bag:

https://www.fusion-bags.com/products...agpipe-gig-bag
Thanks! Glad it's serving its purpose.

You're quite right that 22" interior would be plenty, though I do think bag type will likely make a difference. The hybrid Bannatyne bag I'm using at the moment seems to eat up a load of space.

If I'm doing a gig where I can get away with a more "bare-bones approach," I've actually been known to use a tenor banjo gig-bag. Drones are just the right length to fit inside, and the bulge on the bottom is juusssst large enough to accommodate a hefty bag.

Cheers,
~Nate
Old 10-31-2018, 09:27 AM   #4
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pppiper View Post

You're quite right that 22" interior would be plenty, though I do think bag type will likely make a difference. The hybrid Bannatyne bag I'm using at the moment seems to eat up a load of space.
Yes that's something pipers in the old days didn't have to account for, the extra bulk of bags having zippers, collars, MCS cannisters, and so forth.

I just have sheepskin and Gannaway with none of that. So there's only the thickness of the bag and bagcover past the bottom of the tenor stocks, which only adds perhaps 1/4". I had forgot about the brief period around ten years ago when I used the full Ross setup, and in fact there was a snug case I couldn't use then!

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 10-31-2018 at 09:29 AM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:19 AM   #5
Steve Law
Forum Regular

Interseting and informative video, Nate (but please don’t bother with the elctronic chanter background next time; it’s very irritating! 😉)

I don’t do air travel with pipes (not yet, anyway) but your cautionary notes are very valid about such transportation (spent my working life in aviation so I saw it from the other end).

Out of interest I measured my “old school” plywood box, made for me by my old Dad 53 years ago when I was starting piping... 1/2” ply ends, 3/8” ply other sides, two case clips and a leather handle... 24” x 9” x 7 1/2”, so 23” internal length... almost certainly modelled on other boxes around in the band in 1965 🤗

Apart from the MCS gubbins, for which I’ve never yet found a use, and the music books, which I carry to practice in another case but rarely to gigs, I have a similar amount of junk as you do... two or three spare chanters, a couple of pcs, several boxes of spare reeds and the usual paraphernalia of hemp, corks and assorted tools. Once upon a time I also carried a spare set of drumsticks, as Dad was apt to lose one now and then....it’s amazing how much can be fiited in.

Not often mentioned are the 2 big advantages of hard boxes.... the end makes a great practice pad for snare drummers, and after a long gig the box itself makes a great seat in the beer tent, and simultaneously keeps your pipes safely close to hand 😂..... Oh yes, and they’re dirt cheap; I’ve revarnished mine myabe 2-3 times in 50+ years and never yet had a sticky zip 🤭😂

Appreciate the review 🤗
Steve Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:33 AM   #6
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Law View Post
Interseting and informative video, Nate (but please don’t bother with the elctronic chanter background next time; it’s very irritating! ��) ... Appreciate the review ��
Noted, thanks Steve.

To be honest, wasn't sure about background music. This was in many ways an experiment. Appreciate the feedback. All things considered though, with nothing besides talking, I kinda felt the thing would drag. So in a pinch, I was trying to figure something that I happened to have handy, without violating any copyrights. I'd recently done the midi for a piece that was properly mastered, pairing a piobaireachd with taiko percussion. I'm pretty happy with how that came out, but didn't want to use highland pipes in the "background" as thatd have been WAY too distracting.

Again, thanks for the input.

Cheers,
~Nate

Last edited by Pppiper; 10-31-2018 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:40 AM   #7
Steve Law
Forum Regular

Old 11-01-2018, 05:59 PM   #8
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

In general I much prefer informational YouTube videos to not have background music.

I might not be alone- we're all musicians here- but I have a problem in general with background music because I listen to it and often stop paying attention to the talking part!

In like manner I can't stand laugh-tracks on comedies.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:20 AM   #9
Steve Law
Forum Regular

That's a much better explanation of my thoughts earlier.... in this case I found myself speculating on which electronic chanter was used and were any gracenotes dropped!.

A good review nonetheless 😁
Old 11-02-2018, 04:28 AM   #10
Toxpert
Forum Regular

Good review. Electronic soundtrack makes it difficult to hear what you are saying...
Toxpert is offline   Reply With Quote