Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.


Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2019, 10:18 AM   #1
OHpiper
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: North central Ohio
Posts: 41
Default Third time..crash and burn

Honestly I don't know where to go from here. Played at church this morning during the offertory, Highland Cathedral and Amazing Grace in succession.
What can go wrong did go wrong, started the second part of H.C. and my hands started shaking bad, then I started blowing too hard in turn shutting off my tenor drones. By this time I was playing gibberish, fingers didn't want to work. I almost panicked, said sorry and backed off a bit till they started in again and played the last song thru. Not sure if I'm up to this. All the suggestions from my previous post went south
OHpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 01-27-2019, 10:40 AM   #2
DamhCabrachPiping
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Edmonton Alberta Canada
Posts: 232
Default Third time..crash and burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHpiper View Post
Honestly I don't know where to go from here. Played at church this morning during the offertory, Highland Cathedral and Amazing Grace in succession.

What can go wrong did go wrong, started the second part of H.C. and my hands started shaking bad, then I started blowing too hard in turn shutting off my tenor drones. By this time I was playing gibberish, fingers didn't want to work. I almost panicked, said sorry and backed off a bit till they started in again and played the last song thru. Not sure if I'm up to this. All the suggestions from my previous post went south


Ahhh yessss....

The performance anxiety is strong with this one.

Honestly thereís probably several contributing factors. Impossible for me to say exactly which ones without being there.

1: reed strength - but Iíll assume youíre playing an easy reed based on your first post.

2: leaky pipes- enough said, air loss equals more work and worse sound. It was mentioned in the first post so again Iíll assume youíve checked everything

3: what were you wearing and how warm was it in the church? Temperature can have a terrible effect on a performers system, thus adding to the anxiety.

4: blood sugar- hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar) can cause this. Always make sure to eat before you perform.

5: straight up performance anxiety- the heart starts racing, body heats up, you lose fine motor control and the nervous system dumps adrenaline in response to the Ďthreatí (fight or flight fear response), hands tremble and legs go weak. More practice helps, training the tunes into gross motor function ensures you donít lose them when panic strikes. More public practice will help teach you to ignore the audience- I recommend public parks, waterways etc where you can expose yourself to varying sizes of crowds.


Donít feel bad. We all get the jitters when we start, itís normal. But enduring thru it is essential to what we do.

If you want you can PM me and Iíd be more than happy to do what I can to help.


*Edit* I forgot to mention Fatigue. If you played to much to warm up, or longer than you normally play straight, eventually youíll hit your limit. I canít say if thatís the case here as I know nothing of your abilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DamhCabrachPiping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:58 AM   #3
Aaron Shaw
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA USA
Posts: 170
Default Re: Third time..crash and burn

Here's a resource you may find helpful.


https://bulletproofmusician.com/


At the very least you'll find how not alone you are!


Good luck-it will get better.
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 11:27 AM   #4
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Estados Unidos
Posts: 6,368
Default Re: Third time..crash and burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHpiper View Post
Honestly I don't know where to go from here. Played at church this morning during the offertory, Highland Cathedral and Amazing Grace in succession.
What can go wrong did go wrong, started the second part of H.C. and my hands started shaking bad, then I started blowing too hard in turn shutting off my tenor drones. By this time I was playing gibberish, fingers didn't want to work. I almost panicked, said sorry and backed off a bit till they started in again and played the last song thru. Not sure if I'm up to this. All the suggestions from my previous post went south
I m curious to know...do you play in a competition band? If yes ,..what grade.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 11:27 AM   #5
OHpiper
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: North central Ohio
Posts: 41
Default Re: Third time..crash and burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamhCabrachPiping View Post
Ahhh yessss....

The performance anxiety is strong with this one.

Honestly thereís probably several contributing factors. Impossible for me to say exactly which ones without being there.

1: reed strength - but Iíll assume youíre playing an easy reed based on your first post.

2: leaky pipes- enough said, air loss equals more work and worse sound. It was mentioned in the first post so again Iíll assume youíve checked everything

3: what were you wearing and how warm was it in the church? Temperature can have a terrible effect on a performers system, thus adding to the anxiety.

4: blood sugar- hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar) can cause this. Always make sure to eat before you perform.

5: straight up performance anxiety- the heart starts racing, body heats up, you lose fine motor control and the nervous system dumps adrenaline in response to the Ďthreatí (fight or flight fear response), hands tremble and legs go weak. More practice helps, training the tunes into gross motor function ensures you donít lose them when panic strikes. More public practice will help teach you to ignore the audience- I recommend public parks, waterways etc where you can expose yourself to varying sizes of crowds.


Donít feel bad. We all get the jitters when we start, itís normal. But enduring thru it is essential to what we do.

If you want you can PM me and Iíd be more than happy to do what I can to help.


*Edit* I forgot to mention Fatigue. If you played to much to warm up, or longer than you normally play straight, eventually youíll hit your limit. I canít say if thatís the case here as I know nothing of your abilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes three and five just about sums it up. The choir room were we assemble before going out was extremely warm this morning and my sweater didn't help.. and performance anxiety. yep that was me..
OHpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 11:29 AM   #6
OHpiper
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: North central Ohio
Posts: 41
Default Re: Third time..crash and burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
I m curious to know...do you play in a competition band? If yes ,..what grade.
No band here, don't know of any in northern Ohio..
OHpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 11:30 AM   #7
OHpiper
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: North central Ohio
Posts: 41
Default Re: Third time..crash and burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Shaw View Post
Here's a resource you may find helpful.


https://bulletproofmusician.com/


At the very least you'll find how not alone you are!


Good luck-it will get better.
Thanks, i'll check it out!
OHpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 11:36 AM   #8
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Estados Unidos
Posts: 6,368
Default Re: Third time..crash and burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHpiper View Post

No band here, don't know of any in northern Ohio..
How did you learn ?
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 11:36 AM   #9
DamhCabrachPiping
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Edmonton Alberta Canada
Posts: 232
Default Re: Third time..crash and burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHpiper View Post
Yes three and five just about sums it up. The choir room were we assemble before going out was extremely warm this morning and my sweater didn't help.. and performance anxiety. yep that was me..


Then always dress to the climate.

If itís +40C youíd be hard pressed to find me in a doublet and feather bonnet lol

I prefer a dress shirt, tie and regular poly blend vest, it would work well for your situation and you can lose the glen/balmoral as your indoors, and in a church... if the best is too hot then have a tie clip/pin handy and ditch the vest.

As for the anxiety: focus on what youíre playing. Play for yourself and ignore everyone else until you get more comfortable.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DamhCabrachPiping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 12:52 PM   #10
OHpiper
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: North central Ohio
Posts: 41
Default Re: Third time..crash and burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
How did you learn ?
I've had a notion to learn for the past 25 years or so, I retired in Feb.2017, in Dec. 2017 I purchased a Dunbar PC and the Green book. In August of 2018 purchased a set of MacCallum AP2's, between videos on Youtube and a couple lessons, hours of devouring info on set-up and tuning i think I'm doing fairly well. i practiced the other morning just started out playing songs I new and played 12 minutes non stop .
OHpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Silver Sponsor

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:03 PM.