Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-28-2019, 12:27 PM   #21
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Third time..crash and burn

To follow up on other postings in this thread........

Don’t give up. Your attitude seems to be one of looking at where your mistakes lie in order to improve.

Competency on the bagpipes takes a lot of work. After 10 years, I don’t necessarily think I have got there - only grade 3 in light music and grade 2 in piobaireachd. But........ I enjoy myself and work at it.

Charlie
Old 01-28-2019, 02:01 PM   #22
OHpiper
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Knox View Post
You might consider contacting the North Coast Pipe Band (https://www.ncpb.org/), or The College of Wooster Pipe Band, or Jon Maffet at The Piper's Hut (in Pickerington, which I know isn't very "north"). They could probably point you to some pipers in your area.

P.S. If you're on the eastern side of northern Ohio, Pittsburgh isn't that far away, and there's lots of good piping there.

P.P.S. I second Nate's comment -- don't quit.
Matter of fact, I contacted Jon this morning, that's who I bought my MacCallum's from..
OHpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 11:57 PM   #23
Piping Potential
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHpiper View Post
What can go wrong did go wrong

Welcome to the bagpipe! It's a frustrating, temperamental instrument. Glenfiddich champions have trouble with their pipes and with nerves. But, the payoff for all that hassle is worth it because PLAYING THE BAGPIPE IS FREAKING AWESOME!

Every performance is a learning experience. What constructive did you learn at this one? I'd say you could open up your drone reeds a bit so they don't shut off as easily. Maybe you misjudged how prepared you were playing H.C. When I learn music for competition, I basically have to get it so ingrained that I can play it in my sleep. Because I know on the day standing in front of the judge I'm going to be nervous, there's going to be a ton of distractions, and any little parts that aren't solid have a better chance of coming apart. So practice the hell out of whatever you're planning to play and practice with the TV on as a distraction.

Another suggestion: have you tried regularly meditating? It may help train your brain to be more focused and more calm.

There is a prescription stage fright medicine, but I'd only consider that as a last resort after you've had more practice and more experience playing in front of an audience.
Piping Potential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 04:06 AM   #24
OHpiper
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piping Potential View Post
Welcome to the bagpipe! It's a frustrating, temperamental instrument. Glenfiddich champions have trouble with their pipes and with nerves. But, the payoff for all that hassle is worth it because PLAYING THE BAGPIPE IS FREAKING AWESOME!

Every performance is a learning experience. What constructive did you learn at this one? I'd say you could open up your drone reeds a bit so they don't shut off as easily. Maybe you misjudged how prepared you were playing H.C. When I learn music for competition, I basically have to get it so ingrained that I can play it in my sleep. Because I know on the day standing in front of the judge I'm going to be nervous, there's going to be a ton of distractions, and any little parts that aren't solid have a better chance of coming apart. So practice the hell out of whatever you're planning to play and practice with the TV on as a distraction.

Another suggestion: have you tried regularly meditating? It may help train your brain to be more focused and more calm.

There is a prescription stage fright medicine, but I'd only consider that as a last resort after you've had more practice and more experience playing in front of an audience.
Yes they are awesome! If anything, no coffee at all in the morning before I play, I wasn't fully prepared, don't dress for outside if I'm playing inside. Next time ? Yes, there will be a next time..
Old 01-30-2019, 03:27 PM   #25
thevoidboy
Forum Member

Jason Snell
Sian Beilock

Both are authors who describe concrete ways in which ”choking” can occur and what to do about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thevoidboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 11:34 AM   #26
Dan Bell
Forum Clasp

Please don't take this the wrong way, but you were probably under-prepared. I find that there is a WORLD of difference between the level of "ready" that it takes to play through a tune without mistakes in my practice room, and the level that makes me prepared to play it in front of 1000 people.

Many years of performing experience have made me aware of what each "level" of preparedness feels like, and how I respond to practice, so I have a good idea of what I need to do to be as ready as I can for whatever gig. Playing for your teacher is different from performing solo in front of a room full of pipers, which is different from going to the line at the World's.

One approach that I find very helpful is visualization: when you practice, devote some part of your time to imagining yourself in the situation that stresses you out. It helps to have done it before, but even if it's a new situation, you can try to imagine the things that are likely to make you feel the most uncomfortable when the experience is for real. Constant exposure to a stressor reduces its psychological hold over you.

Another thing you can do is to find a harmless audience. Inflict your playing on your family and friends. Play as best as you can and don't allow yourself any excuses. Make your goal that every performance be better than the previous one.

Learning to PERFORM is a skill, separate and apart from learning to play the instrument. If you're a nervous performer, that's probably part of who you are to some extent, but you can most certainly develop the skill and stack the deck in your own favor.
Dan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 11:50 AM   #27
OHpiper
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Bell View Post
Please don't take this the wrong way, but you were probably under-prepared. I find that there is a WORLD of difference between the level of "ready" that it takes to play through a tune without mistakes in my practice room, and the level that makes me prepared to play it in front of 1000 people.
No offence at all, in fact I mentioned to my pastor I wouldn't play at church again until I am really ready..I have played in front of family a few times, even then, only slightly nervous..
Old 02-04-2019, 08:20 AM   #28
Larry Samuels
Forum Regular

An idea: practice "performing" by going to a park or field where folks may be, and play. It gives you the experience of playing for folks without the added pressure of them having an expectation, or you worrying about doing well enough to justify a fee, etc. I used to practice at work in the parking lot at lunch time, and folks sometimes stop to listen. It's not the same as a public performance but it's a gentle step in that direction.

Good luck! It does get better, but like all of our learning, it seems slower than it ought to be.
Larry Samuels is offline   Reply With Quote