Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-11-2018, 09:14 AM   #1
plainspiper
Forum Silver Medal

Send a message via AIM to plainspiper
Default I wanna Know: Shuttles

Hello everyone, I teach high school and am showing my kids different types of bagpipes. They are wondering how the shuttle pipes/mussette instruments make sounds out of a canister type drone. Do we have a set of plans anywhere here or is there one that opens up a drone virtually that you know of so I can show them how they work/are made? I've been searching everywhere here and I'm not keen on dissecting my own Walsh pipes....I'm going to email Mr. Walsh and see if he will do a How It's Made series for us on it but was just wondering.
plainspiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 03-11-2018, 09:47 AM   #2
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: I wanna Know: Shuttles

Greetings, piperpastormark,

On the U.S. Public Radio Stations... the
Magliozzi brothers (the program was "Car
Talk") had what they called HCD (How Come
Dat?) questions...

And oft times... people look at our Great Beast...
and its several permutations... and wonder...
and often ask... "How does it do that?"... and...
"From where and how do those sounds come?"

Yours is a worthy project... and I hazard that any
of the makers would be pleased to send a set of
line-drawing spec's to you... to further the children's
education. (Many of us... could use the same. :)

Wishing you the best of Good Fortune with it!! :)

Regards,

Pip01

Old 03-11-2018, 04:46 PM   #3
Kevin
Forum Clasp

In case you don't get a better answer complete with drawings: each drone in a shuttle drone is a bore folded back and forth and terminating in a slot. The slider over the slot effectively changes the length of the bore by covering part of the slot. Hence, the slider allows the drone to be tuned.

If you have a Walsh shuttle pipe, you may be able to remove the wood cap at the end of the drone opposite the reeds (on a dry day). It is just a hemped joint on mine. By removing the cap you will.see how the sliders are installed. You will.also see the plugged end of the bores that are folded. The latter is done by bridging between parallel bores and plugging the unused ends.

I hope this helps,
Kevin

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:01 PM   #4
plainspiper
Forum Silver Medal

Send a message via AIM to plainspiper

Theres several plugged holes on that hemped cap end I see, so is there a cross-bore that I haven't noticed then as well? or is that the hole that is under the slide itself then? I'm trying to figure out what that looks like with an xray per se. Also, I took my PC reeds out of mine and put in Seth Hamon's reeds he made for the Fireside pipes. Holy cow what a difference and so much easier to play. I almost wish I could change out my practice chanter to such a reed LOL.
plainspiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:30 PM   #5
Ian Lawther

With shuttle drones you have a cylinder of wood (or other material) which has multiple bores. Some of these bores are them connected across the end of the cylinder so that you end up with a number of folded tubes which might be 2, 4 and 6 times the length of the cylinder itself. The final bore in each series to close to the outside edge of the cylinder, and the wood is cut through to create an opening slot in this final section. A slider is mounted in a groove on the outside of the cylinder and can be move across this slot effectively lengthening the final section of the drone and tuning it.

Pictures of French musettes linked below give an idea of how the bores were sopped and linked within the cylinder (wax was often used to seal the linked bores and this can be seen in these pictures.

http://collectionsdumusee.philharmon.../MUSEE/0160890
http://musette.free.fr/musette.htm

The opening of this video also explains these drones
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OVYA-DJ_og
Ian Lawther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:12 AM   #6
daj
Forum Regular

I have some drawings, pm me your email and i will get them to you.
daj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:32 AM   #7
Chris Bayley
Forum Member

Musette shuttle drone units will have most commonly 13 bores (4 drone systems) and 14 bores (5 drone systems) and occasionally a few more to give other tuning options. The bores are connected at the ends and also partway along the shuttle to give the correct sounding lengths.
The tuning is provided by a slider (layette) running in a dovetail slot (coulisse) that opens /closes a slot into the bore of the drone. On the more complex examples e.g. that in the Morpeth Chantry, a coulisse may have two slots and two layettes.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:33 AM   #8
LloydB
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipingpastormark View Post
Hello everyone, I teach high school and am showing my kids different types of bagpipes. They are wondering how the shuttle pipes/mussette instruments make sounds out of a canister type drone. Do we have a set of plans anywhere here or is there one that opens up a drone virtually that you know of so I can show them how they work/are made? I've been searching everywhere here and I'm not keen on dissecting my own Walsh pipes....I'm going to email Mr. Walsh and see if he will do a How It's Made series for us on it but was just wondering.
This may be of interest, as well:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rackett
Old 03-25-2018, 05:47 AM   #9
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydB View Post
This may be of interest, as well:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rackett
the most unintuitive fingering of any woodwind...