Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-09-2018, 02:25 PM   #1
Mountain House Piper
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default New to the pipes looking for advice on a practice chanter

Hullo,
A friend recently passed and left me a set of Hardie pipes(mid sixties according to Hardie). I want to get a good practice chanter that isn't going to cost my first born. What make and size should I get?
Thanks in advance.
Cheers!
Mountain House Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 03-09-2018, 02:37 PM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: New to the pipes looking for advice

A new abw RGHardie, Mccallum, Naill, Sinclair,Shepherd,...all excellent choices ,..bling of your choice/ budget...but whichever...get a standard length so you blend in tune with the most usual chanter at a band table...which you’ll be able to cozy up to and read your music. A Walsh reed also highly recommended.
You could check eBay for a vintage of these or other historic notable names ..eg Lawrie,Glenn, Henderson,etc. not MIME .

Last edited by Andrew Lenz; 03-09-2018 at 03:32 PM.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 03:37 PM   #3
Andrew Lenz

Default Re: New to the pipes looking for advice on a practice chanter

Welcome to bagpiping!

I'd recommend checking with your instructor and picking a chanter that matches his/hers. That'll make life easier.

If you are considering teaching yourself, read this:
http://www.bagpipejourney.com/articl...t.shtml‎

Best,
Andrew

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." ---Mark Twain
Andrew Lenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 06:52 AM   #4
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I’ll second Andrew’s advice about instruction.

For PC, you have two main types: long and short. I was told that with short/regular PC’s, you typically rest the bottom end on a tabletop while playing. With the long version, you can rest the bottom on your thigh (seated).

Most (all) modern PC’s of quality have hole spacing similar to a pipe chanter, and the holes are countersunk to feel more like the larger diameter holes of a pipe chanter.

I have played in three different bands, the first two didn’t really care which brand/type of PC was used, although they preferred them to be relatively close to each other. The third band supplied Gibson poly long PCs and the tone around the practice table was pretty darned good. All bands were grade 3 or 4.

My favourite PC is a long Naill wooden pc that I have setup with an easy reed. I can play for hours on it and the reed is easy enough to circular breathe.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:06 AM   #5
piper Q
Forum Silver Medal

A standard length Polypenco, aka Delrin engineered plastic chanter is sufficient for most student and at roughly $65 U.S. depending upon source not excessive new. Some come with rubber O-rings and others use hemp at the joints. But all perform equally well.

Please, avoid the wooden Pakistani rose wood or similar practice chanters, they may only cost $25 to 30 but will not sound as well or hold up as well in the long run.

I have a Dunbar & Eller PC with 24 years use and abuse and it is still doing yeoman work for me. As for PC reeds, a quality manufacture one will set you back between $12 and $20 depending upon source. Generally there will be several recommended PC reeds available all will work equally well, though you may need a small dental appliance rubber band to aid the reed sounding in tune with other students.

If you have a teacher near you, she or he may make recommendations based upon their experiences. As for chanter lengths, usually they come in child's, standard, and long. Counter sunk holes on a standard length chanter aren't really needed.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:46 AM   #6
majorvonhapen

Hello..

I recently bought a long polypenco Gibson practice chanter. Sent here to Ireland from Canada.

I have to say I prefer it in every way to my old Kintail blackwood and certainly to my poly Chesney.

It seems to be crafted differently from usual practice chanters.

The recessed holes are very like a real pipe chanter.

The tone and scale are true.

And I remember reading in these forums somewhere that the back pressure is different. More akin to a small pipe. It requires more air but I feel this is good training for my blowing stamina.

Everyone has a favourite pc. Gibson is mine for the above reasons.
Hope this helps.

Regards and good luck!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk