Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-14-2018, 08:00 PM   #11
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Ouch! Bagpipe concert review

A Pack Of Pickled Pipers, probably.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:06 PM   #12
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pppiper View Post
Too often, I've found that pipers will shrug off fine details for the general public, but will be stressed to the max when playing in front of a judge...
I played for many years under PM Kevin Blandford who put equal importance on the perfection of dress, tuning, and playing regardless of audience.

To me it's unprofessional to accept money for a performance and show up poorly dressed and/or be imperfectly tuned and/or hack through tunes you don't have down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pppiper View Post
having a person say to me "wow, I've never really enjoyed bagpipes before .. but I liked listening to what you just played" is a far greater prize than any competition could yield...
Yes indeed, especially when the person saying that is a musician.

At the first rehearsal at a gig where I was going to play Highland Cathedral with a top-notch brass ensemble I had several of the brass players coming up and saying "I've never heard bagpipes in tune before!"

My response is that bagpipes are like any other instrument: competent players will play in tune, incompetent players won't.

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 03-14-2018 at 08:12 PM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:08 AM   #13
Chris C.
Forum Silver Medal

The tone of the instrument, whether in tune or out of tune, isn't for everybody.

Sounds like the writer both didn't care for the tone of pipes outright, and also was trying to be clever and humorous in his article.
Chris C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:00 AM   #14
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
At the first rehearsal at a gig where I was going to play Highland Cathedral with a top-notch brass ensemble I had several of the brass players coming up and saying[B] "I've never heard bagpipes in tune before!"
I've heard that before as well, including once at a memorial service for a prominent Boston percussionist in a landmark church in Copley Square, playing with some of the finest professional musicians in brass and percussion ensembles and teh immense organ at the church. It's for events like that I keep an old B flat chanter on hand.

Last edited by Andrew Lenz; 03-18-2018 at 04:51 PM.
Klondike Waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 06:19 PM   #15
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Lenz View Post
BTW I never read the article because all but the first paragraph are blacked out.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:50 AM   #16
Leong
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
BTW I never read the article because all but the first paragraph are blacked out.
Just hit "Skip Survey" in the question "box" and the content will pop right back in. You are not missing much anyway.
Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 06:28 AM   #17
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike Waldo View Post
playing with some of the finest professional musicians in brass and percussion ensembles and the immense organ at the church.
Those gigs are the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike Waldo View Post
It's for events like that I keep an old B flat chanter on hand.
Or a new B flat chanter, in my case. I had a lovely 1960s Hardie that played bang-on at concert pitch but with any (modern) reed I tried the High G was impossibly sharp.

So I got a McCallum B flat/466 chanter which has the advantage of being designed to work with the type of reed that's widely available now. In fact I can trade the same reed between it and our 484-ish McCallum band chanters, the same reed giving a true scale in either.

But that new poly chanter doesn't have the broad woody tone of the old Hardie, that's for sure.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:38 AM   #18
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leong View Post
Just hit "Skip Survey" in the question "box" and the content will pop right back in. You are not missing much anyway.
Oh I see.

Well I read it and as you say I hadn't missed much. It's poorly written. And I just don't care for writers who take that sort of tone, that negative world-weary it's a waste of my time whining complaining tone. I want my music review writers to be enthusiastic about music, my movie critics to love movies, my sports writers to love sports.

Somebody loaned me a travel book by a purportedly popular travel-book writer and I hated it. The guy travelled around Britain and he has nothing good to say about any place he went, any thing he saw, any people he met. If you don't like travel and you don't like seeing new places and meeting new people, don't travel! And if you do travel don't burden the public with your petty whining.

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 03-18-2018 at 06:41 AM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 11:16 AM   #19
Ian Lawther

Just to be clear who the "pack of pipers" being disparaged here consisted of, this was the line up for that concert.

• Jack Lee, Great Highland Bagpipes
  • Willie McCallum, Great Highland Bagpipes
  • Roddy MacLeod, Great Highland Bagpipes
  • Angus MacColl, Great Highland Bagpipes
  • Murray Henderson, Great Highland Bagpipes
  • Bruce Gandy, Great Highland Bagpipes
  • Callum Beaumont, Great Highland Bagpipes
  • Steven McWhirter, Side Drum
  • Blair Brown, Side Drum
  • Tyler Fry, Tenor Drum
  • Michael Cole, Bass Drum
  • Dr. Gary West, Smallpipes
  • Finlay MacDonald, Smallpipes
  • Ewen Henderson, Fiddle
  • Mairi Rankin, Fiddle
  • Ali Hutton, Guitar
Ian Lawther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 12:33 PM   #20
Bob Harper
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Lawther View Post
Just to be clear who the "pack of pipers" being disparaged here consisted of..
I would have taken his ticket. And paid the air fair to be on hand.
Bob Harper is offline   Reply With Quote