Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-11-2018, 09:51 AM   #1
piper Q
Forum Silver Medal

Default 2018 National Veterans Creative Arts Competition

Long name, for a simple program for those enrolled in the United States Veterans Health Care System. Part of the purpose is to help Veterans develop confidence and overcome other issues.

In my local region the program is just 4 years old, and attracted 53 participants this year. The program is pretty broad in scope encompassing art, creative writing, music, and dance. All the participants are amateurs, and the judges are experts and awardees in their various fields.

I've studied and practiced with some very able and gifted pipers over the years. However, I've not competed in the EUSPBA circles, and some of life's various interruptions have dictated a different course, in many ways. However, this year I decided to participate in the VA Competition, with the bagpipes.

Going in, I was competing against musicians with more traditional instruments and style, mostly Guitar and Country Music. I chose to perform three categories, with 3 simple tunes. Instrumental Rock with an adaptation of Slade's Run Run Away; Instrumental Cultural with The Battle's Over; and Instrumental Inspirational, with everyone's favorite, Amazing Grace. I took second place with the Battle's Over for Cultural, and First with Amazing grace.

I am now in the running to compete at the National Level in Iowa in November. I'll be judged for the second round based upon a video, not of my original performance, but of the same tune on stage next.

Well, to give a different perspective on competing even in an open format such as this one, as the time approached, I felt as nervous as when I first experienced unrestrained weapons fire with NATO, and as when I went into a fire as a young Fireman.

Cheers All, and have a great St Patrick's Party Season.