Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-17-2018, 10:34 AM   #1
plainspiper
Forum Silver Medal

Default PC Donations-THANK YOU!! and tartans for Latinos

Hi everyone and Happy Saint Patricks Day! I wanted to sincerely thank everyone for the kind words and support for my start up bagpipe group with special education students. We had two practice chanters given to us so are off to a good start and the kids are just enthralled with playing so far! The smiles on their faces when they blow in that thing for the first time and make their first notes has been priceless.

Some of these kids are Hispanic ancestry and want to get a kilt that is representative of their heritage so I was looking at the Mexican national tartan but wondered too if there are other tartans that are representative of Latino ancestry I could recommend to them?
plainspiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 03-18-2018, 03:18 PM   #2
piper Q
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: PC Donations-THANK YOU!! and tartans for Latinos

The has been a very wide Celtic influence in the nations of our neighbors to the South. From Brenardo O'Higgins to the San Patricios. As for a single tartan, I can say specifically. I would suggest doing a little historical research into the various Individuals associated with the countries you are considering, and see if there may be a tartan associated with them. Then choose a tartan your students can agree upon as representative of the values that historical person represents. Also of some note is much of what we consider "Traditional Celtic Tunes, and Melodies" also have a wide distribution in the Hispanic Cultures.

You're really free to run with this anyway you desire.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:21 PM   #3
plainspiper
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: PC Donations-THANK YOU!! and tartans for Latinos

The one young man I have who is learning has a pretty common Hispanic name, so we looked it up in the tartan pages and lo and behold there was a tartan for that name, it was a newer tartan but had his last name nonetheless. We also found there is a Mexican National tartan that was created a few years ago so this is pretty cool stuff.
plainspiper is offline   Reply With Quote