Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-31-2018, 05:03 AM   #1
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Gillanders on eBay?

These just came up. The starting bid is very low, the condition is amazing.

Strange that it has the typical Pakistani cords... it makes me wonder.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Rob...%7C6000%7C7000

The style of that set above is completely different from this Gillanders set also on Ebay now, below:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1960s-Rober...np6T:rk:1:pf:0

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 10-31-2018 at 05:06 AM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 10-31-2018, 06:19 AM   #2
Jay Close
Forum Clasp

Default Re: Gillanders on Ebay?

For what it's worth, I don't see the two sets as "completely different", but maybe separated in time by a decade or more. Both seem to have the characteristic bead above the cord guides of the upper bass drone and the boldly turned half bead transition at the shoulder break of the the tuning chambers. I like 'em!
Jay Close is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 04:40 PM   #3
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo
Default Re: Gillanders on eBay?

They look legit to me, very like my G&Ms from the late '70s
FWIW, mine don't have the original cords either.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:53 AM   #4
Fritz Hoffman
Forum Silver Medal

Late '70s would make them Gillanders MacLeod. I was lucky enough to have Capt. John MacLellan take me to meet Iain McLeod at the shop and buy a hand picked set to play in the solos. This was a very good instrument with balanced tone and rock steady. Soooo I picked this set up just now on Ebay as this is a steal. I very much look forward to revisiting this make.
Fritz Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 11:12 AM   #5
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz Hoffman View Post
Late '70s would make them Gillanders MacLeod. I was lucky enough to have Capt. John MacLellan take me to meet Iain McLeod at the shop and buy a hand picked set to play in the solos. This was a very good instrument with balanced tone and rock steady. Soooo I picked this set up just now on Ebay as this is a steal. I very much look forward to revisiting this make.
Good luck with this set Fritz. My first pipes in 1970 were G&M. Let us know how they go...
el gaitero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:40 PM   #6
NDLaw2009
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz Hoffman View Post

Have you received this set yet? How are you enjoying it?
NDLaw2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:29 PM   #7
Fritz Hoffman
Forum Silver Medal

Yes I have had a chance to go through them and play them a bit. First of all the pipes are in brand new condition! Not even teeth marks on the blowstick. They look (with the exception of the imm. ivory patina) like they just came out of the makers shop. No nicks anywhere. Now for the tone. They are very reminiscent of the set of MacLeod I bought in 1977. VERY balanced and easy to tune a great ring to them as well. I suppose I could get more tenor or bass dominance with reed selection but the balanced sound is impressive.
Fritz Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote