Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-18-2017, 09:55 AM   #11
Bendind
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Re: New Armstrong Bagpipes?

a friend of mine had them... tried them only once because i got sick that time... not sure why
Bendind is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 11-04-2018, 04:19 AM   #12
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Now over a year has passed since this thread, and I'm reviving it because by now I'm sure that more Bob Dunsire members have experience with the Chris Armstrong pipes.

Now people have had time to put hours of playing into their pipes, months, perhaps a year or more. What have you found?

I've not seen a set in person much less got the chance to try one. From the photos on his site (beautifully taken photos) the pipes have a traditional profile I really like.

About the development process, Chris Armstrong's site says this:

"Average bore and internal sizes were taken from a sample of 6 sets of pipes which provided a starting point..."

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 11-04-2018 at 04:38 AM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:33 AM   #13
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Regular

https://soundcloud.com/x-treme-produ...hAso1Zyb6FuL-s
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:12 AM   #14
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Hmm ,sounds like Hardies,..maybe new PHs, or Mccallum,..maybe old RGL,..not sure ...they sound good though.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:31 AM   #15
Steven_Riesenberg
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
Now over a year has passed since this thread, and I'm reviving it because by now I'm sure that more Bob Dunsire members have experience with the Chris Armstrong pipes.

Now people have had time to put hours of playing into their pipes, months, perhaps a year or more. What have you found?

I've not seen a set in person much less got the chance to try one. From the photos on his site (beautifully taken photos) the pipes have a traditional profile I really like.

About the development process, Chris Armstrong's site says this:

"Average bore and internal sizes were taken from a sample of 6 sets of pipes which provided a starting point..."

I've been playing a Chris Armstrong ABM3 set since September of 2017. The CITES paperwork says they were manufactured in July 2017 from wood sourced in 2016. The only way I can describe the sound is they are somewhat similar, or closest to, a set of Naill's I used to have. It is neither a bass nor a tenor dominant pipe. I have them set up with Ezee tenors, an Xtreme bass, and a G1 platinum chanter reed. The chanter is wonderful. It feels very similar to a Colin Kyo chanter I have. I might even favor it over my McC2 ABW... maybe. To me the chanter and drones are a good match and provide very nice harmonics. They are as steady as any other pipe I've ever had.

I've bought and sold many pipes but I'm keeping this one. They're currently with Murray Huggins at Colin Kyo bagpipes where hand engraved ferrules and caps are being added in Murray's "Old Thistle" design. Can't wait to get them back when he's done.
Steven_Riesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:34 PM   #16
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: New Armstrong bagpipes?

Thanks for the review!