Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 11-07-2018, 07:33 AM   #1
rflynn30
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Resistance to temperature ABW vs. Poly

i live in upstate NY. I play a lot of weddings and funerals which necessitate playing indoors and out without much time to retune. This becomes problematic when the outside temperature is much lower (or higher) than indoors. Which chanter’s pitch is more resistant to temperature changes? ABW or Poly?”
rflynn30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 11-07-2018, 10:31 AM   #2
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Resistance to temperature ABW vs. Poly

Greetings, rflynn30, and to All,

This is a rather scientific question... that simply... I
am not qualified to answer... but... I can offer what I
have gleaned from cold weather playing experience.

Generally... I find the ABW... easier (warmer?) to my
hand... than the Delrin.

But there have been times... and especially when it is
cold... and raining(!!)... when for chanter's safety's sake...
I have taken the Delrin with me... instead.

Insofar as differences... the ease of playing... the clarity
of the notes... any differences to my stone ear... are quite
negligible... if there are any at all... and with either chanter.

What I find to be important... are the reeds... that I take with
me... and that I use. (But these things... are so subjective.)

Wishing you the Best of Good Fortune with it... :)

Regards,

Pip01

Last edited by Pip01; 11-07-2018 at 10:34 AM.
Pip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:51 PM   #3
magsevenband
Forum Gold Medal

Poly..also play an easier chanter reed in cold temps...less fluctuation...my wood Naill always needs a longer warmup period to set when such time may not be available or impractical...Poly Shepherd is my weapon of choice after November 1 on gigs.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:25 PM   #4
Shawn Husk
Holy smoking keyboard!

ABW has a much lower coefficient of friction (a materials ability to expand and contract with temperature changes) than plastic. Thus ABW will change less with temperature changes than plastic.

Years ago in Jerry Gibsons shop up in Cleveland we did an experiment in this regard. We took measurements on a poly and an ABW chanter and then put them in a freezer for 5 minutes then measured again. The poly chanter shifted dimensions more than the ABW chanter.

Go for ABW.

www.huskreeds.com
Shawn Husk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:41 PM   #5
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

The temperature fluctuations will likely wreck the relative tuning between drones and chanter far more efficiently than the dimensional changes the chanter and drones will undergo separately. I would be surprised to hear that a switch of material resulted in noticeable improvement.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:56 PM   #6
magsevenband
Forum Gold Medal

Although ABW may have less fluctuation in regards to temp, I would assert that poly is more likely to produce better intonation in colder weather...only one way to find out..play both of them in the cold and see which one performs better from the get go....I did this week and the wood Naill was flat as could be until it got some warm air going thru it while the Shepherd Orchestral was bang on from the first strike in.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:56 AM   #7
Achilles Piper
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Husk View Post
ABW has a much lower coefficient of friction (a materials ability to expand and contract with temperature changes) than plastic. Thus ABW will change less with temperature changes than plastic.
With respect Shawn, it is the temperature coefficient of expansion, not friction, which you are referring to here. However this parameter is largely irrelevant, because the change in velocity of sound in air as the air temperature changes completely swamps any slight change of dimensions. As others have noted, the time that the chanter takes to warm up may vary depending on the relative thermal mass and thermal conductivity of the material.
Achilles Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:34 PM   #8
TwitchyFingers
Holy smoking keyboard!

Not really sure one way or another, but I found a good trick today. I had an outdoor funeral in snow & 35F. As I stood at the back of the graveside gathering, I crossed my arms and shoved my chanter inside my right jacket sleeve while keeping my hand around the chanter stock. Comes the end and my time to play, and voila! I'm still in tune. Might be good for others who don't have to stand at attention.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:39 AM   #9
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

The most stable material wrt temperature fluctuations is carbon fiber.

I'm playing an outdoor gig tomorrow. I had no idea an arctic blast is on it's way. It's normally about 50F but it's going to be 34 tomorrow. (10C and 1C). I don't think I've ever played in such cold temperatures. Fortunately, my bag is excellent at moisture, and there's not a lot of playing involved.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:44 AM   #10
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob864 View Post
The most stable material wrt temperature fluctuations is carbon fiber.

I'm playing an outdoor gig tomorrow. I had no idea an arctic blast is on it's way. It's normally about 50F but it's going to be 34 tomorrow. (10C and 1C). I don't think I've ever played in such cold temperatures. Fortunately, my bag is excellent at moisture, and there's not a lot of playing involved.
..curious....what kind of bag?
el gaitero is online now   Reply With Quote