Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other (not GH) Bagpipes > Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes +
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes + For all types of (non GH) Bagpiping discussions.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-14-2017, 12:55 PM   #11
Michael Ufford
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Re: Brighde Chaimbeul

Is it just my bad ears or does she have the drones turned off or plugged for this performance with the guitar? There is a microphone pointing to the drones, but I cannot hear them. (I have started to learn Captain Archibald Leslie's March, which she plays in the second grouping.) The link again is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9owse95kgV4

Last edited by Michael Ufford; 10-14-2017 at 01:06 PM.
Michael Ufford is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 10-14-2017, 05:48 PM   #12
aphillips

Nah they are in there- just not very high in the mix.

Listen to her start at 4:39
aphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 11:57 AM   #13
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Yes, the sound for the Street Cafe is pretty simple, just a couple of mics pointing at instruments.
CalumII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 01:18 PM   #14
Dan Bell
Forum Gold Medal

It's hard to get the drone-chanter balance to sound the same as it does unamplified if you've only got a few mics (and wanna avoid feedback). At this sort of venue (with multiple acts performing throughout the day), you have to minimize the number of equipment reconfigurations and soundchecks.
Dan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 03:27 PM   #15
Kevin
Forum Clasp

Not to hijack this thread but has anyone on here used clip on contact mics on SSP drones or chanters? Ignoring the fact that you will need about three of them, this seems like it would be a good approach. Anyone have any idea if a permanent contact mic (like the ones some fiddlers attach to their bridges) would work in a common stock?

Best regards,
Kevin
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 12:49 PM   #16
Graineag
Forum Member

As close as English orthography allows, it would be Bree-djuh Chaimbul. (Or if you can read international phonetic alphabet, something like [bri:d͡ʒə xa͡jmbəl] would be a bit closer to the mark, though my IPA is a bit rusty.) The "h" in "Chaimbeul" designates it as the feminine form of the surname. The "ch" should be pronounced as in "loch."

Interestingly, I recently heard that she and her sisters are the daughters of Gaelic poet/novelist/actor Aonghas PÓdraig Caimbeul (a.k.a. Angus Peter Campbell), who some might remember as the grandfather in the Gaelic language feature film "Seachd."

Last edited by Graineag; 10-28-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Graineag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 04:56 AM   #17
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

SNIP
Interestingly, I recently heard that she and her sisters are the daughters of Gaelic poet/novelist/actor Aonghas PÓdraig Caimbeul (a.k.a. Angus Peter Campbell), who some might remember as the grandfather in the Gaelic language feature film "Seachd."[/QUOTE]

Graineag, thanks for that, but wouldn't the father's name be Angus Patrick Campbell?
Old 10-30-2017, 03:20 PM   #18
donmacn
Forum Regular

Not really, Bob.

You do see some folk taking the form 'Peadar' for Peter, but PÓdraig is more common I think, and it's certainly Angus Peter Campbell.

I don't know the whys and wherefores (if in fact there are any) but I know a few folk who would use Peter in English, and PÓdraig in Gaelic.
donmacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 05:48 PM   #19
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Thanks, Don, I've never run into that before.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:55 PM   #20
Bill Worsfold

The thing I found especially interesting about this video was her use of tape to change the scale for some of the exotic tunes she played. Forgive me if this is bleeding obvious and everyone except me knew about it, but I've never seen it before.

She has bits of tape on the chanter just above several holes. When she was announcing a Finnish tune, she took one piece off and part covered her top hand middle finger hole. She's playing a C chanter so that would give an Ab. With the Bb already present on a C chanter she now has an Fm scale.
After that, she leaves that tape there and adds a piece on the bottom hand middle finger hole to get an Eb which now gives her a full Cm scale for a medley of Swedish and Bulgarian tunes.
Then she removes them both and is back to normal.
Later she puts back the Eb tape only for a modal Cm. When she finishes that tune she justs sticks the tape on her knee, suggesting that she renews the tape for each show - or she just noticed a hole in her trousers.

I found this quite ingenious - I've been thinking I would need additional keys for different notes on my smallpipes. The Ab would duplicate the scale of a sackpipa too which opens up that whole repertoire.

Is this common practice? Does anyone here use this technique/trick?
What other notes do you tape and why? What sort of tape would you recommend - hopefully something that doesn't leave a sticky residue on the fingerhole area?

I notice that she also has a piece of tape above the top hole on her chanter that she didn't use - that would give her a B natural, but at the expense of the high C.

Love it,
Cheers,
Bill
Bill Worsfold is offline   Reply With Quote