Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other (not GH) Bagpipes > Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes +
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes + For all types of (non GH) Bagpiping discussions.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-19-2017, 09:52 AM   #1
Kevin Murphy
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Drone reeds for smallpipes

I have a bit of a dilemma with a set of smallpipes I purchased months ago.
To put it simple I tried getting the maker to suggest drone reeds which I got very little response from.
The reed seats for all three drones are small enough that a pipe chanter reed has too much circumference to fit.

Is this unusual?

Last edited by Kevin Murphy; 10-19-2017 at 10:19 AM.
Kevin Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 10-19-2017, 10:47 AM   #2
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo
Default Re: Drone reeds for smallpipes

Not that unusual, Kevin. If we knew that make and key of teh set, we might be able to advise. EzeeDrone makes drone reeds for several makes of SSp and Borderpipes. I found years ago that the Ezeedrone Tenor reeds for Kinnear smallpipes in A also suited my Swayne Lowland pipes in A, for example.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:50 AM   #3
BaggyMcPipes
Forum Regular

Default Re: Drone reeds for smallpipes help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Murphy View Post
To put it simple I tried getting the maker to suggest drone reeds which I got very little response from.
The reed seats for all three drones are small enough that a pipe chanter reed has too much circumference to fit.

Is this unusual?
My experience is limited- I've only ever owned two sets, one by Dunfion and one by Walsh. Both used Eezee drone reeds, the seats of which were definitely bigger than a pipe chanter seat... Is it a set of shuttle pipes, by chance? They'd use, essentially, practice chanter reeds for drone reeds...
BaggyMcPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:57 AM   #4
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Drone reeds for smallpipes help please

Quote:

Is this unusual?
What kind of pipes?...sounds like they were sent out without reed seats having been reamed...and left as only the drone bore diameter.

As others have said EZ drone reeds should (usually) fit ...not something the size of a chanter reed staple.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 03:12 PM   #5
Kevin Murphy
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

The length of each bass drone section is about 8" about 22.5 placed together(not shortened completely). 7" tiny drone in two pieces combined. 10.5 together in two pieces tenor drone.

Lochalsh smallpipes
Kevin Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:05 PM   #6
Tedley
Forum Regular

I have reeded these sets successfully with cane drone reeds. Many synthetics are too large.
Tedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:15 AM   #7
sooty piper
Forum Regular

Seth Hamon makes excellent small pipe reeds. He transformed the tone and stability of my Gibson Fireside pipes at reasonable prices. Highly recommended.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:56 PM   #8
will103
Forum Member

Quote:

Is this unusual?
Hi, It sounds like these drones may have been set up for Northumbrian-type drone reeds (narrow brass bodies and traditionally cane tongues, or plastic ones). These were more common during the early revival I think and I used to have a set made by Jimmy Anderson that used this type of reed. Richard and Anita Evans have helped me out in the past with drone reeds like these - they can be contacted via:

https://www.evansbagpipes.co.uk

Cane would also work as previously mentioned - or, and depending on the diameter of the drone at the hemp - you may be able to get an experienced small pipe maker to widen the reed seats to accommodate ezeedrone reeds. I considered this in the past with one set but decided against it because of the risk of splitting - the diameter of the wood at the hemp being too small.

Best of luck, Will
will103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 04:10 PM   #9
Robin Beck
Holy smoking keyboard!

We do need to know who made these pipes, but if the reed seats are bored to 6.3mm Ezees will fit.
Ralph Hepburn makes an interesting plastic reed with a 3/16", that can be made to work in almost anything!