Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other (not GH) Bagpipes > Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes +
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes + For all types of (non GH) Bagpiping discussions.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-28-2017, 09:48 AM   #1
TheHaggisMaster
Forum Silver Medal

Default Scottish Smallpipe Pipe Bags...

Hulloo,

The problem I'm having is the bag that's currently attached to my smallpipes, both sets actually, is a Gortex bag. I'm feeling the need for more support and weight? I think a hide bag would be better but I'd like some info before I go shopping.

For simplicity sake I wish that a company like Bannatyne made a hybrid bag with grommets/fittings for smallpipes. I've sent them a note to see what their plans are but who knows. In the mean time I'm just wondering what the consensus is on pipe bags for Scottish smallpipes? Hide, Gortex, whatever?

Cheers,

HM
Old 10-28-2017, 12:00 PM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Scottish Smallpipe Pipe Bags...

To help overcome the relative flaccid feel of a syn bag...a slightly stronger reed can help....to get/keep the bag rock hard....you might even discover itís a little easier to play.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 04:56 AM   #3
Leong
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHaggisMaster View Post
...For simplicity sake I wish that a company like Bannatyne made a hybrid bag with grommets/fittings for smallpipes...
I think you are covered - Canmore has a no zip/grommets hybrid which you should be able to use for smallpipes. You just need the confidence to cut the hole into an unsullied bag
Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:01 AM   #4
longwind
Holy smoking keyboard!

It looks like Ross Ainslie is playing a sewn hide bag without grommets on his smallpipes in the YouTube clip recently mentioned here. They sound wonderful but that might be because it's him playing it.

Last edited by longwind; 10-29-2017 at 10:03 AM.
longwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:21 PM   #5
David D.
Forum Regular

If it is a mouth-blown set I think you would be better off with a Canmore bag that was already mentioned or a Bannatyne hybrid with no collars and a zipper so you can go in a clean the bag.

If your set is bellows blown, the hybrid bags might be too stiff. The leather used for the bellows blown bags is soft and supple and does not need to be seasoned.

I have sets with the following bags and would recommend any of them.

Reelpipes
https://www.reelpipes.com/product/13...smallpipes-bag

Hamon
http://www.swedishbagpipes.com/

Kelleher (I have an Uilleann bag)
http://www.kellehertrad.com/bags.html

Also, Mac Harg makes bags but I have no experience with them
http://www.weepiper.com/bags.htm

Make sure to measure your chanter stock since the bags are usually sewn for 1" to 1.25" or 25 to 30 mm, which is much too small for a Walsh set. If that is the case, a small highland Begg hide bag from Reelpipes or a custom bag from Mac Harg might be your best bet.

Good luck and have fun with it!
Old 11-03-2017, 11:41 AM   #6
Dan Bell
Forum Gold Medal

I'd strongly recommend a hide bag. I've never played a synthetic smallpipe bag that I felt gave both adequate support and tactile feedback. A good hide bag makes it much easier to blow good tone, and requires little or no maintenance.

In North America, I'd contact Michael MacHarg, Nate Banton or Rob Felsburg.
Dan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:29 AM   #7
Nintch
Forum Regular

For the record, my D smallpipes, which I play on a regular basis, were made by Mike MacHarg 29 years ago, and the bag is as good as new. It is "elkhide" and doesn't need seasoning. I highly recommend bags from Mike.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:50 PM   #8
Pppiper
Forum Silver Medal

Michael MacHarg hide bags for small pipes just can't be beat. They're phenomenal.

Cheers,
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 05:16 AM   #9
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

If I wanted a hybrid bag and I didn't want to cut it myself, I'd contact Jack Lee. I know he offers tie in service. It seems like his bags are primarily made to order anyway.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:02 AM   #10
Kevin
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pppiper View Post
Michael MacHarg hide bags for small pipes just can't be beat. They're phenomenal.

Cheers,
~Nate
Based on my sample size of one, I second (third?) this recommendation. My MacHarg bag has been and still is great after about eight years of regular playing. Dry set up, not seasoning, no muss, no fuss.

Kevin
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote