Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other (not GH) Bagpipes > Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes +
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes + For all types of (non GH) Bagpiping discussions.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 11-22-2017, 09:04 PM   #11
Clodhopper
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Re: What should I be doing while I wait for Scotish Smallpipes for 5 months?

Bill and daj,

The set I have ordered is this one, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfI-cG1yTDI
If I understand correctly it has 3 drones, a bass and tenor A and a baritone E, which I am guessing, with my short comings with music theory, would not work with a D chanter. Am I right about that? Sounds to me like the combination sets have 2 A and 2 D drones.

Also, what exactly is being done with the tape to flatten notes?

Thanks again, and Bill, I know that tune, or at least it's cousin as Angeline the Baker. Good stuff.
Clodhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 11-22-2017, 10:28 PM   #12
Bill Worsfold

Default Re: What should I be doing while I wait for Scotish Smallpipes for 5 months?

Hi Pete,

It looks like a great set, and if Fred thinks it's good, who's going to argue with him?

The A notes will go fine in the key of D, ask the makers if the E can drop down to D, which it should be able to. If it can't, just put some blu tak over it. If all else fails, deploy the drone switch and let the other musos carry the chords.

Re a D chanter, see if you can get a D tin whistle and try playing that - the fingerholes are a lot bigger but the finger spacing is very similar to a D chanter (to mine anyway). If anything, the chanter is a little longer from 1st to 6th hole, so if you can manage that, you should adapt to a D chanter OK.

The only chanter I'm using at the moment is a D - it suits playing in D, G, and Em which are favourite keys in Irish music, which I play a lot of. Scottish music seems to favour A rather than G, plus D.

If you want to switch chanters, ask them about false stocks (aka split stocks) - they'll protect the reeds when you change them.

The way the tape works, is you partly cover the top edge of a hole and you effectively move the hole down a bit - sort of like tuning your B string down a semi tone on your banjo to change to open Gm.

Try it on your PC - put a bit of tape over the top edge of the right hand middle finger hole, then play a scale - it should now be an Am scale.
What Brighde does is do the same thing on the top hand middle finger hole as well to get a Dm scale too (well, it would if she were using an A chanter).

Don't worry too much about what you don't know, music theory-wise - it's mostly a need to know thing. I'd never heard of modes until a started learning Appalachian dulcimer 45 years ago, but the knowledge has been useful ever since. As you need to know something, go out and find it out - it'll stick a lot better that way.

Cheers, and have fun,
Bill
Bill Worsfold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 06:01 AM   #13
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodhopper View Post

I am playing mostly Old Time on fiddle and banjo (clawhammer style) and do play a lot of tunes in A, so I am looking forward to trying the pipes out in OT sessions. I also play lots of D tunes, but I've got pretty meaty farmer fingers and it sounded like finger space was at a premium on a D chanter, so I opted not to go with a combination set.
Angeline the Baker fits, and it's a fun tune.
Old 11-25-2017, 04:09 PM   #14
Bill Worsfold

Here's a few more OT tunes on pipes to whet your appetite:

Patrick McLaurin doing 'Sandy Boys'. (He has a pdf of the notes on his web page: http://www.patrickmclaurin.com/wordpress/ )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=GrbwEjyNTbA

Fin Moore playing 'Battle of Waterloo' aka Napoleon Crossing the Rhine/Alps' - is this the same as 'Napoleon crossing the Rockies'? Some people play it the same, some totally different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWZZvZSOtnU

I've also heard the Battlefield Band play June Apple on pipes but I can't find a clip of it, but it works.

Cheers,
Bill

PS Someone should compile a list of pipe friendly OT tunes - preferably someone familiar with OT music and pipes.
Bill Worsfold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:04 AM   #15
Clodhopper

Thanks Bill, that's some good stuff.
Clodhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 02:34 PM   #16
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Pete, it's easy enough to make a drone extender for the baritone drone to drop it to D- just slip in some hobby tubing with the OD the same as the ID of the bore.
Or.. If the bass has three segments, see if you can remove the mid section and fit the bass on the botton section- Mi=y Kinnear set can change the Basa drone from A to D that way.

Last edited by Klondike Waldo; 11-30-2017 at 02:36 PM.
Klondike Waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 03:26 PM   #17
Steve Bliven
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike Waldo View Post
...If the bass has three segments, see if you can remove the mid section and fit the bass on the botton section- My Kinnear set can change the Base drone from A to D that way.
Is that the drone that's made from a Leggo set?

Best wishes.

steve
Old 11-30-2017, 07:46 PM   #18
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bliven View Post
Is that the drone that's made from a Leggo set?

Best wishes.

steve
No, Steve, I sold my Danish pipes.
Best wishes.