Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-20-2017, 01:21 PM   #11
Kevin J. Auld
Forum Gold Medal

Send a message via AIM to Kevin J. Auld
Default Re: Bb (466) Chanters and Reeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
Good to hear the confirmation. I was going to chime in initially to the first post that the Shepherd Bb flat reeds seem to be the most reliable. But honestly....sometimes I'm not certain what I've got....or have they started marking them with a Bb indentifier besides the big RTS letters on the blades?
The Shepherd Bb reeds are stamped with Bb right on the cane.

http://www.thepipershut.com/product-p/shepbflat.htm

I'm looking forward to trying a few.
Kevin J. Auld is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-20-2017, 06:52 PM   #12
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D Piper View Post
I noticed on my Bb chanter I had to have the reed set really high to get it down to 466.

What make chanter? What make reed?

Ordinary high-pitched band reeds from Megarity intended for McCallum band chanters work perfectly at Concert Bb in either of my two McCallum "Bb" (466) chanters, the reed sunk normally, with minimal taping.

The same reeds, sunk to the more or less the same point, play around 484 in either of my McCallum band chanters.

Seems to me that people might be making it more complicated than it needs to be. I don't have to raise my reeds or use much tape on the chanter or use drone extenders or special long drone reeds or any such thing to have the pipes singing at 466. In my case it's about having a chanter and drones that are happy at 466 with normal reeds.

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 04-20-2017 at 06:55 PM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:49 AM   #13
magsevenband
Forum Silver Medal

I use Shepherd B flat reeds in my Shepherd Orchestral..Gilmore work great too..all this talk about 466 chanters is wonderful..I hope it's a trend that continues to be popular...I despise 480 tuning.

Cheers,
Al
Old 04-21-2017, 03:35 PM   #14
Winch
Forum Regular

Another Shepherd Bb guy using Shepherd Bb reeds. Using regular reeds I was still pitched up too high.
Winch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:12 PM   #15
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Right now, I'm alternating between a '79 McLeod chanter with Apps and MacLellan reeds at about 470 Hz and an old R.G.Hardie chanter with a Sheperd B flat reed dialed in at 466 Hz ( I have some gigs with Organ or keyboard coming up. With the McLeod chanter,(470hz) I'm using Selbies ( 2 sets, used in alternation) in the G&M drones. With the Hardie chanter at 466, I'm using one set of BalanceTone B flat and a tweaked set of Selbies as back up. The idea is to always have a played-in set of reeds and back up for each set-up.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:47 PM   #16
Kevin J. Auld
Forum Gold Medal

Send a message via AIM to Kevin J. Auld

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
What make chanter? What make reed?

Ordinary high-pitched band reeds from Megarity intended for McCallum band chanters work perfectly at Concert Bb in either of my two McCallum "Bb" (466) chanters, the reed sunk normally, with minimal taping.

The same reeds, sunk to the more or less the same point, play around 484 in either of my McCallum band chanters.

Seems to me that people might be making it more complicated than it needs to be. I don't have to raise my reeds or use much tape on the chanter or use drone extenders or special long drone reeds or any such thing to have the pipes singing at 466. In my case it's about having a chanter and drones that are happy at 466 with normal reeds.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
In fact I am trying to make things NOT complicated, by finding the appropriate reed for a Bb chanter, as you suggest.

If any old high-pitched reed would work in a Bb chanter, then reed makers wouldn't have need to make Bb reeds.

I'm glad to hear Megarity reeds work in the McCallum Bb chanters. I've used Megaritys off and on for years, but haven't tried them in the Bb. Good to know.

Kevin
Kevin J. Auld is offline   Reply With Quote