Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > History, Tradition, Heritage
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

History, Tradition, Heritage As related to the subjects of piping, drumming and pipe bands.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-07-2020, 02:09 PM   #41
classicbagpipes
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Pipers in the old days

To settle the question of what is on the chanter stock of Henry Forsyth's pipes. I owned these pipes for a number of years and on the stock was the Royal Coat of arms in raised or possibly cast silver. It was banded around the chanter stock. On the upper R and L hand side of the Arms, were the Welsh Dragon and the POW feathers. These two were added on, but I have no idea when that may have been done.
The pipes were full mounted Britannia silver which had a higher content of silver compared to Sterling. But there were no hallmarks on any of the silver.
I played this set for a number of years, they were MacDougalls, not sure which one though. But they had the brass lining in the drones. but also looked like the brass may have been silver plated as well. But then put them aside for a beefier set of MacRae pipes.

I know I have a copy of an old Piping times with a picture of the stock on the cover. I will have to see if I can locate it.
classicbagpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-08-2020, 04:39 AM   #42
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Thanks for clarifying.

Now I remember that this has come up here

http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/...d.php?t=163174
Old 04-12-2020, 11:37 PM   #43
piper909
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Shears View Post
Great collection of old piper pics. The one of an older PM and and a young female dancer looks to be have been taken in Nova Scotia, probably Antigonish or New Glasgow and the piper looks like "Tug" Wilson, a Cameronian veteran piper who immigrated to NS in the early 20th century. I have his practice chanter made by John Grant. As for early water traps my Gavin MacDougall set has a built in water trap in a spit stock. The bottom part of the stock is turned to include this "cup and and tube" style water trap (made of brass) essentially the same as the cork and tube developed later.
Cheers,
Barry

Thanks for posting this! I started looking at this thread from the beginning, and when I saw that photo, and looked at the houses in he background, I immediately thought, "That's not Scottish construction, this looks like No. America! Probably Canada, one of the maritime provinces."

Hope to visit there someday in the not-distant future! We'd like to have a second home in Nova Scotia.

This thread is a SUPERB collection and discussion of Highland dress and its various period idiosyncracies and variations. I hope this continues! Thanks, OP!

Last edited by piper909; 04-12-2020 at 11:44 PM.
piper909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 05:03 PM   #44
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I found a Xerox copy of that article

Piping Times
Vol 36, No 12 September 1984

Royal Bagpipes

A bagpipe formerly belonging the Duke of Windsor was recently sold at Sotherbys...

The cover has a closeup of the chanter stock.
Old 04-14-2020, 03:27 PM   #45
gisahag
Forum Silver Medal

Some of these old pictures look too odd to be true, e.g. the dress looks outlandish, the background is painted, the spacing of the drones is crazy wide. I think in the really far out pictures it might be because the subject isn't a piper. Wasn't there a fad for posed 'highland fantasy' photos in the 19th C. The modern equivalent would be something like going to the HarryPotter studio tour, dressing up as a wizard, and posing with a broomstick in front of a quiddich pitch background. So maybe the pipes are just props and the drones are oddly spaced / angled and the bags strangely shaped because they aren't set up to be played, the outfit is outlandish because it's a costume of what the photographer thinks a piper or highlander should look like based on music hall and Walter Scott, and the painted backdrop is a photography studio set.
Look at them again. Not all of them, just the crazier ones, particularly in the second batch PCP posted. Do the guys in the photos really look comfortable holding the pipes? Are we sure they're all real pipers?

Neil

Last edited by gisahag; 04-14-2020 at 03:33 PM.
gisahag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 07:42 PM   #46
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

I think part of why they look uncomfortable and unnatural is because they arenít playing. Not necessarily because they couldnít, but that they couldnít for the photos in that they had to hold still for a long time.
Old 04-15-2020, 03:32 AM   #47
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

I agree some of them could be "carte de visite". By the 1860s exposure times for portrait photography were pretty low so holding a pose was not the effort it had been in earlier times.

Here is my great-great-great-great uncle (or thereabouts) on a carte-de-visite from around the 1880s:

Notice the state of the drones, and the somewhat whimsical approach to assembling the outfit.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 04:28 AM   #48
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

[QUOTE=CalumII;1344814

Notice the state of the drones, and the somewhat whimsical approach to assembling the outfit.

[/QUOTE]

Noted. Was he in fact a piper? Curious what would give rise to the eg plaid on the right ,,the closed drones...
Iíd like to have those hose though....
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 08:16 AM   #49
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
Was he in fact a piper?

No reason to think he was - he was not from a traditional piping area and there's no family history that says he was, nor was his working life conducive to piping (he was a marine engineer).

Cartes de visite were the memes of their days, small photographs you passed round your friends and acquaintances. Originally formal portraits, people took to dressing up in all sorts of outfits for them. I seem to recall someone on here saying they had come across a highland outfit used for this purpose which was sewn together with a zip up the back of the whole thing so you could just step into it!
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 08:53 AM   #50
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post

a highland outfit used for this purpose which was sewn together with a zip up the back of the whole thing so you could just step into it!
Sounds like something for Hakim Din. Wow,...just think ink of the market possibilities...and using Velcro. Why didnít I think of this sooner.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote