Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-01-2020, 09:58 AM   #1
WBpiper
Forum Gold Medal

Default Ridge or straight cut, which to you prefer?

Which reeds do you prefer to play, and what do you like about them?

(I got too much time on my hands these days )
Old 05-01-2020, 10:11 AM   #2
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Ridge or straight cut, which to you prefer?

I prefer straight-cut reeds as they're easier to adjust for strength and tuning by scraping or sanding. That said, I have had good results with some ridge-cut reeds as well.
Old 05-01-2020, 10:38 AM   #3
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Ditto....for standard reeds....and they’re just a little more sodjer proof.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 11:17 AM   #4
olypiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I started out with straight cut, but found out, for me, ridge cut reeds were easier to manipulate once broken in, and lasted a lot longer.

Maybe the sound box area is stronger? Due to the thickness of the cane in that area?

I do agree, it is easier to sand or scrape a straight cut reed, but once you learn how, either one is easily modified.

I tend to like a medium strength, and it usually requires a good week to get one to behave reliably.
Old 05-01-2020, 11:55 AM   #5
William McKenzie
Holy smoking keyboard!

My sense has been that straight cut reeds have more 'bark' to them, a thicker, sweeter tone typically especially in the high hand. Ridge cuts tend to be brighter, more sharp, less rounded in tone than the straight cut from my experience.

My favorite reeds have been Chesneys, especially for the Peter Henderson chanter. Good combination of tone and plug and play without much fuss. But I'm not sure you can beat the tone of a broken in Shepherd or Troy for example if you have the patience to break them in.
Old 05-01-2020, 12:00 PM   #6
WBpiper
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by William McKenzie View Post
My sense has been that straight cut reeds have more 'bark' to them, a thicker, sweeter tone typically especially in the high hand. Ridge cuts tend to be brighter, more sharp, less rounded in tone than the straight cut from my experience.

My favorite reeds have been Chesneys, especially for the Peter Henderson chanter. Good combination of tone and plug and play without much fuss. But I'm not sure you can beat the tone of a broken in Shepherd or Troy for example if you have the patience to break them in.
How interesting you say that! I have noticed this when playing different reeds, the straight cuts seem to have a thicker, full tone, especially on the top hand, whilst the ridge cuts have a very bright loud sound, much more noticeable on the bottom register.

Im using an Easy Megarity in my Naill atm, outstanding reed
Old 05-01-2020, 12:06 PM   #7
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I tend to prefer molded reeds over ridge cut reeds. They seem to last a lot longer too. Troys are good, but right now, I am loving MacLellan reeds in my Shepherd chanter.
Old 05-01-2020, 02:03 PM   #8
magsevenband
Forum Clasp

I've never played a ridge cut in over 40 years...I find them chirpy, lacking in depth, color and warmth...they gained popularity with bands around here starting in the late 80's because they produced a clearer high A in competition, something that was elusive at the time due to the inconsistent reeds and the ghastly chanters of the day..I never cared much for the sound of the bands that played them but they were winning so fair play to them...I don't see a good reason to play them these days as reeds and chanters are so much better and proper intonation is easily achievable with non ridge cuts, without the chirpiness...I can always tell if someone is playing a ridge cut.
Old 05-01-2020, 03:03 PM   #9
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magsevenband View Post

I've never played a ridge cut in over 40 years...I find them chirpy, lacking in depth, color and warmth...
Did you purposely leave out hints of road tar,vanilla,full throated lavender ,nose and long finish...
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 08:03 PM   #10
magsevenband
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
Did you purposely leave out hints of road tar,vanilla,full throated lavender ,nose and long finish...
Sounds like a Maduro I had recently.