Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-19-2020, 06:22 PM   #1
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Hemping stock joints

Many years ago it was conveyed to me to NOT hemp beyond the combed section on stock joints; the combing doesn't extend all the way down the joint, just like it doesn't extend all the way to the top. The reasoning, from an amateur pipe maker at the time, was leaving the joint unhemped at the bottom relieved stress on the wood at the end of the stock. While I don't know if it's true, it's at least consistent with the placement of the combed sections that go into stocks; it's smooth at the top and bottom of the joint. In practice I've found that it's better to just have that gap there at the end so that one doesn't introduce that much more friction in the joint as you finally close it.

However, I have bought a fair number of used items from chanters to bagpipes over the years and more frequently than not, the smooth section at the bottom is hemped along with the combed section. This baffles me. Why do people hemp all the way down a joint?

These aren't extra wraps of string that could have been cut; the bottom is hemped just like, and along with, the combed section.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 09-19-2020, 07:15 PM   #2
Andrew Lenz

Default Re: Hemping stock joints

Weird.

Your pipe maker is correct. The end of a joint (the open end of a cylinder) is the most likely place to crush under pressure. The strongest part is the opposite end where the stock insert meets the mountóthere is much more wood there.

Aside from being untidy and you could end up with loose winding of hemp interfering with your reeds, it's structurally bad practice to hemp all the way to the end.

Andrew

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." ---Mark Twain
Andrew Lenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 07:21 PM   #3
William McKenzie
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post
Why do people hemp all the way down a joint?

These aren't extra wraps of string that could have been cut; the bottom is hemped just like, and along with, the combed section.
I feel your pain.
Old 09-20-2020, 07:53 PM   #4
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

I always just hemp the combed section, but somehow the hemp always slides a bit on itself after Iím done and the smooth section at the top (by the mount) ends up with hemp in it after a while. Not so much the bottom part, thankfully.
Old 09-20-2020, 08:50 PM   #5
RJB
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post
Why do people hemp all the way down a joint?
If a little is good, then a lot is better.

Because they can.

Those are the only two reasons I can think of.
RJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 10:24 PM   #6
David Murry
Holy smoking keyboard!

I have often thought the same and in the end chalked it up to lack of proper tuition from teacher to student combined with a lack of critical thinking.

But then again... I overthink things a lot o the time ( I wonder if that made sense.... Hmmm did it?)

Old 09-26-2020, 01:45 PM   #7
David Murry
Holy smoking keyboard!

And now here is where I am humbled. Looking thru my stocks I find half the stocks are hemped to the mount... and I know darn well I donít do that... so I guess many times when Iím silently judging others for hemping to the base... itís just the hemp sliding over time...??

Pride goeth before the fall.....
Old 09-27-2020, 09:37 AM   #8
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

I think the one that bothers me more, is when people hemp their bass bottom halfway down the pin rather than keeping the hemp on the hemp combs. And itís even more irksome when they have metal slides with hemp halfway down them.

I know it shouldnít bother me, but it does.
Old 09-28-2020, 12:15 PM   #9
David Murry
Holy smoking keyboard!

LOL... yes, yes, Jim!

I shall have to find a way to not let that one irritate me as well. Who the heck am I to judge?

And yet.......
Old 09-30-2020, 11:12 AM   #10
Keith Jeffers
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Fogelman View Post
I think the one that bothers me more, is when people hemp their bass bottom halfway down the pin rather than keeping the hemp on the hemp combs. And itís even more irksome when they have metal slides with hemp halfway down them.

I know it shouldnít bother me, but it does.
It would be pretty convenient if the pipemaker had just anticipated the weight of the bass drone on the lower joint and recessed and combed, say... halfway down the low pin on the bass in the first place to help support the upper bass drone.

You also need to look at your hemping or "stringing up" practices. If the part was put on the lathe and quickly had the hemp string spun on, I can guarantee you that it won't hold up properly. Real string jobs require a lot of force to get the waxed and unwaxed hemp to seat properly. For instance I wear gloves to string pipes up, and even with that my hands are sore when I am done. That's how hard you need to be pulling to do it right. Also, I use a combination of waxed and unwaxed linen (yellow hemp) and real hemp waxed and unwaxed. It is like anything else you get what you put into it. Prepare yourself to spend well over an hour just putting the string back on for a whole set.
Keith Jeffers is offline   Reply With Quote