Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-28-2020, 03:05 PM   #1
jviss
Forum Member

Default Hemping Basics - Securing when done

Sorry for such a basic question, but how does one tie the half hitches to secure the hemp once done wrapping?

Thanks,

jv
jviss is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 09-28-2020, 05:16 PM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Hemping Basics - Securing when done

Quote:
Originally Posted by jviss View Post
Sorry for such a basic question, but how does one tie the half hitches to secure the hemp once done wrapping?

Thanks,

jv
I havenít and still donít for years. If itís a good tight friction fit...rubbing a good bit of bees wax on at the tail and burnishing it in with multiple quick spins of the joint by hand will pretty much set it without further issue. Try to always spin in one direction.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 06:47 PM   #3
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

I hate when people tie the ends. Drives me nuts trying to find the end! Completely unnecessary.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:11 PM   #4
Andrew Lenz

If you are using unwaxed hempóI personally donítóthen you have to tie off. Waxed hemp, generally, you can get by without doing so.

Andrew

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." ---Mark Twain
Andrew Lenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 06:31 AM   #5
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Form a loop that keeps on running in the same direction as the wound-on hemp, pop it over the end and draw tight. I usually do a second one, and if you do the hemp right the first time it'll never need to come off
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:48 AM   #6
Scot Kortegaard
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post
Form a loop that keeps on running in the same direction as the wound-on hemp, pop it over the end and draw tight. I usually do a second one, and if you do the hemp right the first time it'll never need to come off
Ditto.

Scot.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:34 AM   #7
Andrew Lenz

Yep, basically a half hitch with the wood of the joint in the middle of the loop.

Andrew

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." ---Mark Twain
Andrew Lenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 12:01 PM   #8
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Silver Medal

Waxed hemp, never tie a knot. As long as it is the hemp has been applied reasonably tight and the fit is secure there is no need.

My technique (if you can call it that) is to finish the hemp at the end of the tenon/joint i.e. not towards the projecting mount, then when the tenor top or whatever is put on the friction created by the tight fit adequately secures the hemp. I usually cut the tail about 2/3 the way down the hemped area after testing for fit.

I don't think there is actually a right/wrong answer to this TBH.
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 03:57 PM   #9
William McKenzie
Holy smoking keyboard!

For the last couple years I have done a pull through the same as you do when tying in a bag.

Whatever material you are using to hemp (I use a waxed, flat braided synthetic thread- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MY6ZUHY..._6p6CFbS73VA04) have a simple bit of it looped that you lay under your second to last, or last, full wind of hemp. Leave a bit extra when you cut off the end, put that through the loop and pull through. This pulls the end of the hemp under the last few tight winds you just did and secures things very well.

The other recommendations are great too. Especially clover, constrictor, and half, hitches. I just suck at these and pull throughs are relatively easy yet one of the most secure. I find "cobbler's" wax is excellent for beginning and ending where needed.
Old 09-29-2020, 05:34 PM   #10
jviss
Forum Member

Wow, thanks for all of the helpful replies! I've got it, I think, hemped most of my new, first set of pipes.

So, Vaseline or cork grease, or spit, or what on the hemp?

(I know this may be tedious and repetitive for many, I apologize!)
jviss is offline   Reply With Quote