Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-14-2020, 07:09 AM   #1
johnsog
Forum Silver Medal

Default How far will you travel for a gig?

This is just a curiosity question but how far are you willing to travel for a gig? I know there will be a wide variety of answers. In our area decent pipers are few and far between and our group is the closest one in most of the Dakotas so we occasionally get requests to travel four or more hours away. Personally I see such travel as a lark plus the honor and joy of getting to play. Additionally I have a very supportive husband and no children or other pressing obligations that keep me closer to home. If I know of a piper closer to a venue, I will recommend contact with them but that usually isn't the case. Anyway, how far do you all travel for gigs?
johnsog is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 10-14-2020, 08:06 AM   #2
Texas Gael
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: How far will you travel

As far as they are willing to pay. Texas is a big state, I've traveled as much as four hours one way.

Cheers -

Wes
Texas Gael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:57 AM   #3
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I'm in California, I've done a tour in Japan and a tour across North Carolina and Tennessee.

As far as a single gig, I think that would be a wedding on the other side of California, they flew me up there and put me up for a couple days. If I had driven I think it would have been 10 hours each way.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:18 AM   #4
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Gael View Post
Texas is a big state
People in the UK often find it hard to picture just how big.

The width of Texas at its widest point is 185 miles further than the distance from Land's End to John O' Groats (the furthest points on the British mainland).

The width of Texas at its widest point in 100 miles further than the distance from London to Berlin.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:27 AM   #5
Kenton Adler
Holy smoking keyboard!

It's not that unusual for me to travel three or four hours one way.

For best results - PLAY LOUD
Kenton Adler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 09:34 AM   #6
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
People in the UK often find it hard to picture just how big.

The width of Texas at its widest point is 185 miles further than the distance from Land's End to John O' Groats (the furthest points on the British mainland).

The width of Texas at its widest point in 100 miles further than the distance from London to Berlin.
Haha..I lived in Holland for several years....local folks would chide donít drive more than ~23 minutes in any direction except east...without a life vest....
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 10:50 AM   #7
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

As others have suggested, it depends upon the pay and whether or not it's a band or solo event (I don't generally hire out for solo gigs). Also, as others have suggested, we in the Western US and some larger states accept longer drives as more routine than in some other locales.

For band events, I'm excluding competitions, for which we've traveled long distances, including internationally (e.g., Scotland). For band gigs, we've traveled as far as 10-12 hours, though that's unusual. For some of those gigs, housing has been included. But those have been exceptions to the general, and we've pretty much kept it within a 4-5 hour drive, one way.
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 11:17 AM   #8
David
Holy smoking keyboard!

Well, when I lived in Leeds, Yorkshire, many never thought twice about taking a train to France for a weekend, or a ferry to Norway. They may not have gotten in a pick-up and driven, but they did put in a lot of kilometers. And when I did a post-grad stint in Kansas, many people in the area had barely been further than 100 or 150 kilometers from home. Shire Hobbits. Usually those in a "dry" county headed for a "wet" county to buy a truck load of Budweiser.

On a daily basis, Americans don't live on all 10,000 square kilometers. And Europeans do travel quite a bit, if not as much by private auto.

I was shocked frequently at the low fees offered for piping in the parts of the US I went to university and was actively playing. Yet in the Hawaiian Islands, in grad school, I played a fair bit for outer island hotels, and often got a restaurant chit, a room, and a rental car, plus a few hundred dollars. And in Israel we are usually paid as musicians, not novelty acts.

Last edited by David; 10-14-2020 at 11:23 AM.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 12:28 PM   #9
johnsog
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: How far will you travel for a gig?

It's heartening to see so many dedicated pipers who are willing to travel quite a ways to share their music. It is true, in my experience, that many midwesterners who are not musicians (or artists) are reluctant to pay what people are worth. Plus there often is a difference in costs of living and all. Now another question is how much do you charge per mile for solo/small group/large group? Do any of you rent a vehicle for distant gigs requiring a large group? What are your guidelines?
johnsog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 02:12 PM   #10
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: How far will you travel for a gig?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsog View Post
It's heartening to see so many dedicated pipers who are willing to travel quite a ways to share their music. It is true, in my experience, that many midwesterners who are not musicians (or artists) are reluctant to pay what people are worth. Plus there often is a difference in costs of living and all. Now another question is how much do you charge per mile for solo/small group/large group? Do any of you rent a vehicle for distant gigs requiring a large group? What are your guidelines?
I can only speak, somewhat, to the band's policies. I don't know the exact amounts, given that I'm not the band manager; but we have a price (e.g., $1,000) for local gigs and one for out-of-town/distant gigs, depending upon a number of factors. For instance, we consider whether the gig, or a portion, might be for community service. While we, like many bands, have to endure the pleas of "We are a non-profit" or "We are a small community/organization", we try to adhere to fees for the band's sake; but we do make allowances, as stated. We will often provide some travel assistance for our members (e.g., $100 per participating member) toward total or other travel costs. Consequently, we have sometimes done payin gigs that end up at zero, or cost, to the band. As stated, that may be due to what we deem community service, or just some fun for band members.
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote