Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-18-2020, 10:56 AM   #1
iunderwood
Forum Regular

Default Big problem with Canmore Hybrid

Hello all,

Just received this bag, and I was very excited to install it. However, I'm finding it totally impossible to get my stocks through these grommets. I am working on my blowstock, and it absolutely will not move. I'm tearing up my hands with the amount of force I'm using to push the stock up through, I'm not far from drawing blood.

My stocks are ~1920's Robertsons. Are these simply too large to use in these bags?
Old 10-18-2020, 11:04 AM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Big problem with Canmore Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by iunderwood View Post
Hello all,

Just received this bag, and I was very excited to install it. However, I'm finding it totally impossible to get my stocks through these grommets. I am working on my blowstock, and it absolutely will not move. I'm tearing up my hands with the amount of force I'm using to push the stock up through, I'm not far from drawing blood.

My stocks are ~1920's Robertsons. Are these simply too large to use in these bags?
Could be...after all ...it is 100 years later. Assuming you are using some dish liquid spread around the inside of the collars ? The Canmore hybrid bag itself is a winner in my book. Iím using two of them..perfect in all respects paired with a vinyl tube + trap-dri gizmo.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 11:07 AM   #3
iunderwood
Forum Regular

Yes, I used some dish soap on the inside of the collar. The only part of the stock that would fit through was the top, because I removed the ferrule. Now, with only about a half centimeter of the rest of the thicker part of the stock in, it's locked up.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:57 AM   #4
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Robertsons have unusually chunky stocks. Give Canmore a shout and see what they can do - I don't know if they do a larger grommet but if nothing else they could swap you for a grommet-less bag that you can tie in yourself.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 01:42 PM   #5
acadianpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

It can be a struggle to get some stocks through the Canmore collars. I currently have a Canmore hybrid on my Gord Tuck replicas of his 1920's Henderson's. Those stocks are really beefy, but, with a liberal application of dish soap around the inside of the collars--and especially around the base of the collar, where it joins the bag--a lot of pushing and a liberal use of sailor-like language, they did go through. I doubt that your Robertson stocks would be any larger than my Tucks.

I also had great difficulty inserting Naill stocks in a Canmore hybrid. This was mostly because of the rather large lip on the ferrules that prevented the stock from going in straight. I finally figured out that the easiest way was to insert one side of the lip into the base of the collar, then twist the rest of it in.

Don't be afraid to apply the dish soap liberally. It won't harm your stocks or the bag. From your description of your problem, it sounds as though there is just not enough soap and the stocks are sticking on dry rubber.
Old 10-18-2020, 01:51 PM   #6
iunderwood
Forum Regular

Thanks for the replies! Turns out that yes, I did not use enough soap. I enlisted the help of someone with a bit more upper body strength to get the first stock through. After that, used more dish soap, then passed it between us to take turns with trying to jam them through, and we managed it.

Then came the revelation: I have been struggling with non-airtight bags for 22 YEARS. I played for 40 minutes straight and barely broke a sweat. My reeds were easier (actually too easy, and when in my old bag, they felt quite stiff due to air loss). I was completely relaxed. This bag has already, in one session, changed my life.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:07 PM   #7
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I had the opposite problem once: a vintage set with gracile stocks.

It was years ago, I asked for advice here and somebody said to look for clear vinyl tubing of the correct size to make up the difference. I did and it worked perfectly.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:55 PM   #8
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Yes and allah forbid you have beads on your ferrules.

I was given the advice to use an appropriately sized piece of pvc (1.5Ē sch 40 I think) that fits over the stock but allows you to push on the grommets. I didnít get to try it as I managed before the advice was given, as it seems to be the case here. But perhaps others might try.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:09 AM   #9
Kangaroo
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

I put a Canmore hybrid on my Robertsons earlier this year and had a similar experience, but I did get there in the end. It took me at least an hour to get all the stocks fitted, and every bit of strength I had. Very happy with the bag since, however.
Kangaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 12:42 PM   #10
iunderwood
Forum Regular

Just a followup here, with a question. The bag is playing phenomenally. I have, however, run into some new problems with my drones. The supplied blowpipe tube seems to be directing almost all the incoming moisture into my outer tenor. After about 35 minutes of playing, it would shut that drone down. Just finished up a 45 minute session, and this time I made sure that the reed tongues were facing forward, instead of backward. The reed was still saturated, but it did not shut off. When moving from a hide bag to a synthetic bag, did you notice a marked increase in reed moisture?

Secondly, my middle tenor has become very unstable in its pitch. It's actually remaining quite dry. I'm getting really wild variations on this one, and it just won't stay tuned. I tried swapping in a new reed to see if it would change its behavior, but it's doing the same thing. It's "tuning" right at about a cm of hemp showing on the drone. Any ideas?

These are all Ezeedrone reeds, by the way.