Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Ladies' Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ladies' Room For the Ladies.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-01-2016, 02:33 AM   #1
Bluescottygirl
Forum Silver Medal

Default It's not a skirt, it's a KILT!!!

On Facebook there's memes going around about referring to a gents kilt as a skirt but I'm getting serious fed up with people who should know better referring to ladies attire as a "kilted skirt".

Recently I read a review of the Northern meeting and the writer referred to the ladies attire as being a "tartan skirt" , it's not the first time I've seen this in recent times and it's starting to really rub me up the wrong way.

I have yet to see a competing lady piper play in a kilted skirt. While there's not many of us around who wear ladies attire, we do tend to follow a theme. Our kilts are made to measure, just like the guys and girls who wear the more familiar attire, my own is a medium weight, full 8 yard kilt that left not much change from 400. A kilted skirt can look just as smart and generally falls below the knee but is lighter and uses far less material. While it would cost a fraction of the price of a full kilt it wouldn't survive a day at a rainy Highland Games!!

Yes, ladies can and probably do, wear a kilted skirt but when you see a female piper wearing the full 8 yards, swinging lightly and gently grazing the knee of her tights/pantyhose and wow!! it's even in her own family tartan because it's been made specially for her...it's not a skirt it's a kilt!!

Last edited by Bluescottygirl; 10-01-2016 at 02:46 AM. Reason: typo
Bluescottygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 10-01-2016, 07:09 PM   #2
Andrew Lenz

Default Re: It's not a skirt it's a KILT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescottygirl View Post
I have yet to see a competing lady piper play in a kilted skirt.
You might look up Faye Henderson. She competes in dresses and all kinds of "girly stuff". A serious kick-butt piper too.

But I get your point, guys don't like kilts being called a skirt either!!

Andrew

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." ---Mark Twain
Andrew Lenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 05:15 PM   #3
Scratcher
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescottygirl View Post

Recently I read a review of the Northern meeting and the writer referred to the ladies attire as being a "tartan skirt" , it's not the first time I've seen this in recent times and it's starting to really rub me up the wrong way.

Tough.
You might have to get used to it.

From the rules for piping competitions at the Northern Meeting -

4. Male Competitors must wear Highland Dress including jacket, tie, bonnet or glengarry and appropriate shoes. Female Competitors must wear suitable Highland Dress including tartan skirt, and appropriately cut jacket.

Cheers
Scratch
Scratcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 05:44 PM   #4
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratcher View Post

Tough.

From the rules for piping competitions at the Northern Meeting -

4. Male Competitors must wear Highland Dress including jacket, tie, bonnet or glengarry and appropriate shoes.

Cheers
Scratch
So for Male competitors...kilt is optional ?...and for modesty sake trews are ok?

I just want to be ready if my invite arrives in the mail.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 03:06 AM   #5
Bluescottygirl
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratcher View Post

Tough.

I probably will, there's bigger problems in life but it just irks me when it's very obviously a full kilt and people still call it a skirt. Ladies do have the option to play in a "tartan skirt", or "kilted skirt" but those are very different items. Yes, in reply to the other post about Faye, she wears a really beautiful floor length skirt and "girly stuff" on occasion.

Ah well..if it keeps bugging me I might just take up the optional trews..although someone will probably call them "tartan trousers"!
Bluescottygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:24 AM   #6
johnsog
Forum Regular

It does seem most people are rather careless in their word choices, especially if they are not into the scene. I share your perturbation at that. I am a word geek and also grit my teeth when people use "song" instead of "tune", "that" instead of "who", etc. To us, the differences between a kilt and a skirt are terribly obvious but for most they look just the same. Sigh...
johnsog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 01:03 AM   #7
David
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: It's not a skirt, it's a KILT!!!

This terminological temerity that taunts the tartan tide! Yet at a most basic level the kilt is a length of clothe that skirts the torso is a type of skirt.

How are the uninitiated supposed to be aware of the arcane useages of modern Highland dress vocabulary, and this Scandinavian word "kilt?"

One is reminded of that hero of the great American drang nach west, Daniel Boone, who is alleged to have carved on a tree in Kentucky, "I kilted me a bear." (Perhaps a dancing bear?)

Last edited by David; 10-15-2016 at 01:06 AM.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 06:22 AM   #8
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davi

A scandinavian word "kilt?"

One is reminded of that hero of the great American [I
drang nach west[/I], Daniel Boone, who is alleged to have carved on a tree in Kentucky, "I kilted me a bear." (Perhaps a dancing bear?)
.... a USA/ Tennessee word..... it was Davey Crockett '...kilt himself a bar when he was only 3... according to the legendary song anyway.

Crockett became a Congressman for a short while. One-upsmanship is what they did ...like Donald and Hillary.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 07:16 PM   #9
EagleJCS
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
.... a USA/ Tennessee word..... it was Davey Crockett '...kilt himself a bar when he was only 3... according to the legendary song anyway.

Crockett became a Congressman for a short while. One-upsmanship is what they did ...like Donald and Hillary.
Actually, the Filson Historical Society here in Louisville has a carving from a tree that reads: "D. Boon Kilt a Bar, 1803." There is a similar carving on a tree in Washington County, TN that reads "D. Boon Cilled a. Bar on tree in the year 1760". So, David was correct in his reference, though not in the wording.

"The Ballad of Davy Crockett" is a Hollywood-ism from the early 1950's.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:49 AM   #10
HighlandPark
Holy smoking keyboard!