Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-08-2018, 08:33 PM   #1
plainspiper
Forum Silver Medal

Default Where to find vintage parts?

If I were looking for vintage parts, would it be best to post it on Trading Post as a WTB or voice it here or Tech and Instrument? I'm looking for a bass stock for a Starck button mount nickel ferrule bass. Not sure where this would go best. If someone wants to move this please do so or let me know.

If that is a long shot I'd ever find such a thing, does anyone know who would be my best bet in getting a replacement stock made for such? Any help is very appreciated!
plainspiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 06-08-2018, 09:25 PM   #2
Rooklidge
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Where to find vintage parts?

Graham Burley has made Starck replacement parts for me recently.
https://www.burleybagpipes.com/
Rooklidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:49 PM   #3
plainspiper
Forum Silver Medal

awesome awesome!! I'll call/email him. Got an old set basically given to me today cheap as someone didn't want them in their closet anymore and neither of us knew what we had there. So sent some photos to Mr. Bowen to find out what we have. If its what we think--they'll be my first set of what I hope is a lot of sets of Starck pipes--I want to collect his pipes--love the history behind them.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:32 AM   #4
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Be prepared to pay the CITES fees, he's in Canada.

I've always had Dunbar do work for me, but CITES has made it too expensive.

I need to find a US maker who is willing to do these sorts of small jobs.

Stocks are fairly generic, neither of the vintage sets I play came with the original stocks.

For one set I picked up a set of vintage ABW stocks with nickel ferrules on Ebay.

For the other set (Starcks) I got inexpensive poly stocks from the Ayrshire Bagpipe Company in Scotland. (No CITES for poly!)

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 06-09-2018 at 08:34 AM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:56 AM   #5
Anndrah
Forum Member

Any US pipe maker can make those parts. I used to use Mark Cushing and have had stocks and even ivory replacement parts made. It was surprisingly reasonable. I know Mark has got to be getting up in years, and hasnt ever really adapted to modern computer contact/purchase systems, which is funny because he was cutting edge bak in the late 70s. I still have one of the first plastic practice chanters made, with o ring seal too. However, Marks craftsmanship is top notch.

Just use your googlefoo and look up US makers and give a few a call. If its something they can use as filler work you will get a better price, but be prepared to wait. A lot. Most can easily have nickle ferrules made up too.

As far as the ferrules, what is the O.D., I.D, and material thickness? I have made up some in the past. It is not super difficult. Make a scratch awl type tool to put in the grooves, can be as simple as a board with a stop and a drywall screw poking through. Then bend around a madrel, doesnt have to be perfect, just pretty close. As long as you did the math tight and your piece is the right length, bend it around using plastic hammers, just make sure the meeting edges are perfect, then silver solder together. Now hammer out any out of round.
You may get lucky and find a brass/copper tube the right size. If so, use that and nickle plate it (lots of directions on the net)

Or... you can find wood lathes around that are very cheap. Stocks are fairly easy to make. The tooling can be easily hand ground. Small chunks of wood are easy to find. It is a fun thing to try to make yourself. Granted it would end up costing you more, but the enjoyment is priceless.
Anndrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 05:56 PM   #6
Thom Lenahan
Holy smoking keyboard!

I`d give Roddy a try...... http://www.highland-pipemaker.com/contact/contact.html .....good luck!
Old 06-10-2018, 05:12 PM   #7
Rooklidge
Holy smoking keyboard!

No CITIES issues for parts sent as repair and return under 10kg, so sending parts to match or replace hasn't been an issue. Ivory is ESA problem though. Not had a problem from either Dunbar or Burley. For brand new parts, MacLellan is great if he can squeeze it in.

Last edited by Rooklidge; 06-10-2018 at 05:20 PM.
Rooklidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 07:06 PM   #8
John Bolt
Holy smoking keyboard!

Hi all,

I have bought 2 chanters from Dunbar and they are as good as it gets. I played with Graham Burley and he makes excellent pipes and chanter etc etc and is a top notch guy to boot!

Single malt scotch more than just a breakfast drink
John Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:02 PM   #9
plainspiper
Forum Silver Medal

Thanks everyone!! I decided what I'm going to do. Also, going to either A) sell this Lawrie flat combed bass stock or B) start collecting drone parts and make another bagpipe for fun...

I think this is the beginning of addiction?