Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-12-2018, 07:59 AM   #1
piper Q
Forum Silver Medal

Default After-hours C'eilidh

Later in the year, here on the Swampass Coast of Mississippi when the weather moderates some and the Natives call 50 degrees Fahrenheit raw. A modest Celtic festival is held at the fair grounds in Harrison County. Of course there are the handful of pipers and other musicians who add to the entertainment during the day. But the true fun comes at the after hours C'eilidh!

Not to discount the Harpists, Fiddlers, Drummers, Guitarists, Bassists, and Banjo Pickers; They all put in Yeoman performances in their crafts. But for you Pipers, whether of note or not, what are your favorite C'eilidh tunes?

For myself, Kenmure's Up and Away; Lillibulero; Slade's Run Runaway; and A Nation Once Again pretty much top my favorites list.

Slainte
Old 06-12-2018, 03:50 PM   #2
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: After Hours C'eilidh

I feel like I'm m'issing something
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:18 PM   #3
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo
Default Re: After Hours C'eilidh

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper Q View Post
Later in the year, here on the Swampass Coast of Mississippi when the weather moderates some and the Natives call 50 degrees Fahrenheit raw. A modest Celtic festival is held at the fair grounds in Harrison County. Of course there are the handful of pipers and other musicians who add to the entertainment during the day. But the true fun comes at the after hours C'eilidh!

Not to discount the Harpists, Fiddlers, Drummers, Guitarists, Bassists, and Banjo Pickers; They all put in Yeoman performances in their crafts. But for you Pipers, whether of note or not, what are your favorite C'eilidh tunes?

For myself, Kenmure's Up and Away; Lillibulero; Slade's Run Runaway; and A Nation Once Again pretty much top my favorites list.

Slainte
That's quite an eclectic list- one Scots tune, one Northern Irish, one rock tune and one Irish Republican tune. But I wonder, why the apostrophe in Ceilidh?

For me it would depend on the Ceilidh: Harvest Home, Boys of Blue Hill, Drops of Brandy, The Foxhunter, Drink the Worts and spill the Beer, Woo'd and Married and a', any number of 6/8 marches, if It's a Scottish Ceilidh, some strathspeys and reels and a couple of gaelic songs
Old 06-15-2018, 08:59 AM   #4
piper Q
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: After-hours C'eilidh

The accent in the Cailli <-- phonetic spelling, is due to using an American English key board for a Celtic spelling.

As for the mix of tunes, they are just fun tunes.

Or I could tell you how I'm really just a Meshuginna Momser from NYC of NY Irish, and Mississippi French & Germanic stock, who doesn't care if a minority of people might find a tune insulting rather than fun.

Next on my Bucket list: Returning to Germany, The Balkans, and other parts of the world with a set of Bagpipes looking for the Irish Diaspora watering holes.

Ein prosit!
Old 06-15-2018, 10:12 AM   #5
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Quote:
The accent in the Cailli <-- phonetic spelling, is due to using an American English key board for a Celtic spelling.

As for the mix of tunes, they are just fun tunes.

Or I could tell you how I'm really just a Meshuginna Momser from NYC of NY Irish, and Mississippi French & Germanic stock, who doesn't care if a minority of people might find a tune insulting rather than fun.

Next on my Bucket list: Returning to Germany, The Balkans, and other parts of the world with a set of Bagpipes looking for the Irish Diaspora watering holes.

Ein prosit!

Well, I'm a Greater Boston lad of Scottish, Irish, English, Acadian, German and God-knows-what-else stock, so I'm with you there.

There is a way to get the accents in either MacOs or Windows but maybe easier on Mac. opt/e, e for é etc. célidh, opt/ ` a for à opt/u for ¨, etc.
as I'm no longer working in an environment that uses Windows, I don't remember the keyboard commands, but they are there
Old 06-15-2018, 10:52 AM   #6
Dan Bell
Forum Clasp

Quote:
But for you Pipers, whether of note or not, what are your favorite C'eilidh tunes?
If I'm playing smallpipes with others: anything that other melody players are likely to know. If I'm the only melody player in a session, then I'll put together sets of tunes with readily-discernible melodies, in keys that make life pleasant for the accompanists.

If I'm playing highland pipes by myself: tunes that are fun, and that I can play well with a few beers in me .
Dan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 01:45 PM   #7
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
But for you Pipers, whether of note or not, what are your favorite Ceilidh tunes?
I'm not quite sure what you mean.

A 'party piece'?

If people want to dance, then it's appropriate dance tunes.

If people want to sing, then that particular song.

But if you mean a party piece, I don't know, whatever struck my fancy at the moment. It mostly depends on what instrument I have at the moment (Highland pipes, uilleann pipes, smallpipes).

BYW if your keyboard doesn't have the diacritics, so be it.

It's not uncommon to see Gaelic in print lacking them:

Co siud air liana mach?
Muire ghrian-gheal ’s a Mac,
Bial Dia dh’ iarradh, aingheal Dia labhradh;
Ainghle geallaidh faire an teallaidh,
Gu’n tig latha geal gu beallaidh.

Gaelic has enough apostrophes without putting extra ones where they don't belong: it makes it look like Klingon.

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 06-16-2018 at 01:53 PM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote