Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-13-2018, 06:18 AM   #11
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Garolite bodied drone reeds expand when wet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob864 View Post

I was describing what's happened to me with EZ drone reeds.

Hmmm...havenít had the problem with EZ,...especially with using a Canmore Hybrid bag. Iím surprised as the EZís have sort of hard finish on the body exterior I expect deters absorbption somewhat...vs the Canning with its Ďnaturalí raw finish.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 06-15-2018, 10:24 AM   #12
Dan Bell
Forum Clasp

Oh, yeah... when Ezees get soaking wet (and absorb enough moisture that the screws become impossible to move), they will first get squirrely (impossible to tune) and very shortly thereafter, stop. It takes a LOT of moisture to get them to that state, but they do absorb some, and it does happen. I've had it happen to me on rainy competition days where we have to play more than once. You really have to stay on top of that if you're playing in a band or playing multiple solo events in bad weather. Dry them out for a day and they recover completely.
Dan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:34 AM   #13
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Bell View Post
Oh, yeah... when Ezees get soaking wet (and absorb enough moisture that the screws become impossible to move), they will first get squirrely (impossible to tune) and very shortly thereafter, stop. It takes a LOT of moisture to get them to that state, but they do absorb some, and it does happen. I've had it happen to me on rainy competition days where we have to play more than once. You really have to stay on top of that if you're playing in a band or playing multiple solo events in bad weather. Dry them out for a day and they recover completely.
Curious..in those instances did you have a canister MCS in place? Wow, and EZ now also produces a higher aborbant reed..wonder if that means take more moisture with no effect or more moisture to indeed produce a tonal effect.
Iím always awed by a SGPM friend who plays only standard ezís , uses only a vinyl tube trap....and in bloody freezing parades Iíve been with him shoulder to shoulder he never has drone reed issues.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:38 AM   #14
Dan Bell
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
Curious..in those instances did you have a canister MCS in place?
No, I don't. I play a Gannaway hide bag with a tube trap. It works great as far as tone and stability goes, but there is a limit to how much moisture it can absorb. I played for a week in Scotland (and two runs at the World's) with this setup with no problems. The essential thing is to carefully manage the playing time, because it's finite.

I imagine that if you want to play without fear of moisture issues, a canister system is the way to go, but it comes with its own set of problems.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:48 AM   #15
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
No, I don't. I play a Gannaway hide bag with a tube trap. It works great as far as tone and stability goes, but there is a limit to how much moisture it can absorb. I played for a week in Scotland (and two runs at the World's) with this setup with no problems. The essential thing is to carefully manage the playing time, because it's finite.

I imagine that if you want to play without fear of moisture issues, a canister system is the way to go, but it comes with its own set of problems.
Yep;.. btw..I checked the ez drone website...the higher absorption reeds intended to give ďprolonged playing timeĒ .with sheep bag or high humidity conditions.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:36 PM   #16
plainspiper
Forum Silver Medal

El Gateiro--did you say that your Cannings you used turned colors when they got wet? Was it just a different wet look or was it a different color--just curious on that--
plainspiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:50 PM   #17
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainspiper View Post
El Gateiro--did you say that your Cannings you used turned colors when they got wet? Was it just a different wet look or was it a different color--just curious on that--
Thatís the case with Canningís...they are browny-Grey when dry then go sort of maroon as absorbing moisture...and according to the maker. I wonder how many in the Shotts & Dykehead play them...and with what MCS.
A terrific sound from Canning reeds. Regrettably I was too wet a blower to get the best from them as I didnít want to use a kitty litter MCS so only used my set for a short while/intermittently while testing other less absorbent bodied reeds. But Iíd recommend Cannings in a heartbeat.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:18 PM   #18
Anndrah
Forum Member

Quote:

What kind of material are the ezees made from?
Anndrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:59 AM   #19
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
That happened to several pipers in our band at Dunedin a couple years ago. It was pouring rain and they played solos in the morning. By the time the band contest came around they were in the squirrely phase.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:00 AM   #20
Dan Bell
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob864 View Post
That happened to several pipers in our band at Dunedin a couple years ago. It was pouring rain and they played solos in the morning. By the time the band contest came around they were in the squirrely phase.
People playing solos in the morning is the bane of every P/M's existence. Players who do that should either play a different instrument or have another set of drone reeds to swap out before the band contest (or accept that they'll be cut if their pipes aren't going). I played in an upper-grade band that had a rule that if you wanted to be in the band, you flat-out did not compete in solos on band days. If you're in a serious band, the band has to come first.

Personally, I bring two instruments to the games if the weather forecast is bad. My competition pipes don't get played in opening massed bands in bad weather.