Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-02-2013, 09:26 AM   #11
Ken Gordon
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: Nerves getting the better of Pipers and Drummers?

For my first few competitions, I, having first carefully examined the venue for obstacles, and being almost blind without them, would take my glasses off. This prevented visual matters from effecting my performance.

At my very first competition in Victoria, B.C., about half way through my 2/4, I started listening to the music instead of concentrating on my playing: my first reaction was amazement at how good it sounded.

My second reaction was to miss part of the tune.

In my first year of competition, I broke down at every one. My general reaction to this was anger...at myself. My second year of competition, I never broke down even once.

As several have said here, as perfect preparation as possible is the rock-bottom solution.
Ken Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 01-02-2013, 11:09 AM   #12
Bish
Forum Gold Medal

I used to suffer from really serious performance fear. My friends thought I was mad, because in their opinion I was a good player. It was knowing what the standard should be that terrified me. I bought the Inner Game of Music, but it was little help. My solution was to play in front of total strangers, which is commonly called busking. It made a big difference.

The second part is to prepare in advance what to play, and stick to it. Thorough preparation is absolutely essential, because the fear is basically a lack of confidence. Confidence comes from proper preparation. Play your tunes every day until you can do them in your sleep. Three weeks should be enough for a performance, provided you play all the tunes every day to a decent standard. Two hours a day should be enough.

On Hogmanay I played in two Hotels. I still felt stage-fright, but nothing like the deeply unpleasant sensation of old. The audience just loved the music, and I was full of confidence. I focused on the music, didn't look at anyone directly, and brought my attention back to what I was doing whenever I began drifting.

Drifting is easy to do, because your attention is being drawn away by the sounds of the audience loving the sounds, loud singing along to Flower of Scotland etc., and just your own mind thinking. I simply focus on my hands, my blowing, squeezing the bag properly and blowing steadily, and execution.

If you make a mistake, carry on as if it was supposed to happen. Always look confident when you mess up. Note the when. No performer is infallible, and even the very best blow it from time to time. Just accept that it was your turn when it happens, and take it like a man.

Good performance comes from good preparation, and frequent performances. Constant exposure to danger reduces its terrors.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:45 PM   #13
piper01888
Forum Regular

One method I use [though it won't work in a competition] is to
count all the people in your audience who could do it better
than you.
That was a piece of advice my father gave me en route
to my first public solo performance. i was going to play
for some highland dancers at a local variety show.
All well and good until the third guy that I looked at
was my instructor and the P/S in the band.
I wasn't aware that his daughter was going to be one of the dancers!
I made it through all right, but it did kind of make me
question my dad's wisdom. But you do that a lot as a teenager anyway.
Cheers
piper01888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:17 AM   #14
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Feeling secure in your preparations is important.

One aspect I rarely see addressed here is simply dealing with the physical consequences of nerves. There is a great deal to be said for putting your pipes down, sprinting 200 yards and back, and immediately picking up your pipes and playing your tunes.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrenalin, nerves, performance anxiety, performing in public, performing under pressure