Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Adult Pipers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Adult Pipers Related to Adult piping or pipers, this is the place.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-29-2014, 09:40 AM   #51
Nathaniel
Forum Gold Medal

Default Re: Focal Dystonia

This explains it and gets into some thoughts for help. It sounds difficult.
Part 1 - 3:
and this guy backs it up
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-05-2014, 02:30 AM   #52
RichmondPiper
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post
Very interesting about the spacer block. I am definitely going to have a go at that. What do you use?
I used to use a small box taped to the chanter but it was never quite right so bought one of those (?Piper's Pal) thingumys that you can use for covering the bottom holes when you are tuning, and cut an appropriate piece out of it. The advantage is that it is round (a square box being awkward to position right) and shaped to attach to a chanter. You can stick it on with glue if you want or tape, blu-tack or anything else.
RichmondPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:25 PM   #53
Jay Close
Forum Clasp

What I use is literally a block of wood, poplar or pine. It's about 3/4 inch thick, adds about 5/8 inch to the dimension of the chanter and about 1 and 1/2 inches long. I use hot melt glue to attach it. I think it helps, but is just one aid in a constant search for little improvements.
Jay Close is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 02:41 PM   #54
Jay Close
Forum Clasp

The following Youtube link takes you to a recent paper presented at a symposium on musicians' dystonia. It makes a number of points, but most importantly argues that there is a non-drug therapy that has been clinically proven successful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv0AcnMNxn0

A Google search will bring up 2007 preliminary paper that outlines in some detail the nature of the therapy. It is long term and requires significant discipline, but it holds out hope.

Good luck, one and all!
Old 11-29-2014, 09:45 PM   #55
Piperpadre
Forum Regular

Mine began last spring.

I proposed to do 400 crunluaths a day for Lent: by the third week they were getting dodgy on E and F. By the 5th week I simply couldn't do a crunluath on E or F. My fingers locked after the first G grace note.

In a private lesson shortly thereafter with Dr. Angus MacDonald in Portree he caught it immediately and told me what it was. I had never heard the term "focal dystonia" before that day.

I just attempted a few standards tonight ("Massacre of Glencoe" and "Cabar Feidh Gu Brath") for the first time in many months of staying away from such movements and it was no go.

For the the moment, I'm left to those few piobaireachd are crunluathless, such as "Old Woman's Lullaby", so it seems.

Lent means detachment, I suppose.... I sure got it!
Old 11-30-2014, 08:15 AM   #56
Jay Close
Forum Clasp

Piperpadre:

I'm very sorry to hear this. It's a condition I wouldn't wish on any piper, and the more committed you are to the instrument, the more psychologically painful it is.

Mine hit in force in the Winter of 2004 starting with awkwardness in the little and ring fingers of both hands. Like you, I can no longer do crunluaths and toarluaths are cumbersome. I play in a band and have a couple of students who understand my limitations, so my life is not GHB-free.

Relaxation is a big key. Experiment with the ergonomics of the instrument and try to remain positive. I would dearly love to hear of a workshop associated with any of the established piping summer schools that would focuse on issues of dystonia.

Good luck!
Old 11-30-2014, 09:21 AM   #57
Piperpadre
Forum Regular

Thanks, Jay.

A workshop on this sounds like a great idea!

Of course, not every method to overcome this works wiuth everyone, but a collection of examples from different pipers could prove very beneficial and even ignite some imagination for newer methods.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:11 PM   #58
Jay Close
Forum Clasp

Check out the following link --

http://www.archives-pmr.org/article/...048-5/fulltext

And try a Google search on the term "sensory motor retuning".
Old 12-05-2014, 06:11 AM   #59
Josh Whitson
Forum Clasp

I've known several pipers with focal dystonia - it unfortunately seems to be relatively common among pipers and musicians in general (or perhaps we just have a higher rate of diagnosis due to how much we use our fingers).

One had some skin colored plastic tubes created that when placed over a finger were open on the end that would cover the chanter holes. He used a few of these on his bottom hand to keep the fingers from curling. Another I know uses a furniture tab (those things you stick on the bottom of chair legs to keep them from scratching the floor) on the back of the chanter where the thumb goes to increase the width of the chanter and create a more ergonomically fit.

I've heard it helps to work with a doctor that is also a musician so they really understand the problem.
Josh Whitson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:33 PM   #60
ratherbpiping
Holy smoking keyboard!

After reading this, I feel that it somewhat explains my situation. Mostly affected in my hands are the F and C fingers and some but less in B and E. but in trying to accomodate those fingers, the rest gets all messed up. When I go to do a movement that I suspect will be affected, I feel the tension build in my hands to try to keep the right fingers moving and not the wrong fingers. Relaxing the fingers helps but is really difficult to do. I find it takes about 20 minutes of playing before I can even get the holes covered properly then my hands will losen up some but not entirely. but after another while, my hands get very tired from fighting the wrong fingers from moving. Birls are hit and miss, but mostly miss. Not because of the pinkie so much but because of the B and C fingers. My B and C and E and F fingers feel like they have been through work outs when not playing because of the stress to control them while playing. Finger exercises seem to help for a while then out of nowhere i Cannot play. I think this started back about seven years ago, I made a goal to get to Grade two in solo competition. I worked hard to this goal. IT was a two year plan. First year, I saw great improvement. I really enjoyed it. By the middle of the second year my hands were struggling. I ended up 2nd in standings in WUSPBA Grade three, but by the start of the next season I could not bear listen to myself.

I still play band competition (Grade four) and have moments where all is well and others where it is awfull.

I have had my time in this hobby but I don't want to stop. I have to find this optimal line between tooo little practice and too much, and accept that even though I was never a star, it is becoming just a challenge to keep playing.