Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-12-2019, 09:35 AM   #1
Tom1136
Forum Member

Default Child's practice chanter or standard?

I have a new student who is age 9 and has what I would consider "average" hand size. I am questioning whether it is better to start him on a child's PC to allow him to have a reasonable success or to just start a standard one and encourage him to work towards covering all the notes. Does anyone have an opinion on this? Thanks in advance for the advice. T.
Tom1136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 01-12-2019, 09:41 AM   #2
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Child's practice chanter or standard?

If he can put his hand flat on a table and comfortably spread his fingers to the required stretch, then he's fine.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:20 AM   #3
BaggyMcPipes
Forum Regular

Yeah, my suggestion is that if he can reach, go with standard. But if it's out of his reach, I'd put him on a child sized chanter. And I'd err on the side of caution, (favoring the smaller chanter) I think a good strategy when teaching anyone is to make them successful, especially at the beginning. It's hard enough to learn something new, remove all barriers possible. That way the kid feels excited and competent. If he feels like he's good at it, he'll sick with it.

And I would add: some people think starting a kid on a child sized chanter will cause problems when they transition to a standard sized PC, but I don't think there's really anything there. Any student experiences that change in size/spacing going from a PC to their pipe chanter, and it works out for all of us. So I don't think there's any real disadvantage to starting with a child sized chanter. Other than the expense of buying another chanter a few years later.

Best of luck!
BaggyMcPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:03 PM   #4
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Iíd second Callum and Baggy McP....even if he canít today spread his hand enough. In a very short while he will....and in the short meanwhile will strive.

Go for a standard length ABW chanter... Mccallum get my vote. And ,anyway, childs chanters just sound poor.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:50 AM   #5
paul_111
Forum Member

My son switched from child size to ‘standard’ when he was 9 and he is of average hand size.

His birls suffered a little until he readjusted; so I’d say go with the standard size.

Last edited by paul_111; 01-14-2019 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Fat thumbs
paul_111 is offline   Reply With Quote