Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other (not GH) Bagpipes > Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes + For all types of (non GH) Bagpiping discussions.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-16-2019, 09:41 AM   #1
Oshima
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Adjusting Walsh A2000 drone reeds

Over the year or so that I've had my A2000s, the drone tuning has gotten sharper and sharper. The reeds are a bit weird as they are built into the sticks, so they don't have a screw like synthetics. The sharpness didn't bother me so much until recently (as I ran out of tuning pin to use!) so I used the contact form on the website and a few days later John called me. The steps are really simple:
  1. Make sure the chanter is right around 440. Don't ever touch the chanter reed unless he tells you to.
  2. Pull the drone cap out of the instrument (the part with the grip).
  3. Locate the reed that needs a pitch adjustment.
  4. If you want more space, you can pull the drone out of the reed cap (at least on the poly models).
  5. Put your finger on the reed tongue to prevent it from moving (if it does move, you can move it back into position - just make sure the end of the tongue completely covers the hole with 1/16th of an inch overshooting the hole.
  6. Push the two adjacent bridles up toward your thumb to sharpen the pitch, or down toward the single bridle to lower it.
  7. Don't mess with the bottom (single) bridle.
Quite simple, and not the rocket science that I had heard that Walsh reeds are. One note - I found that the bridles need to be adjusted a bit more than you do when you're setting the cutoff on GHBs. 1/16th of an inch of movement on the bass drone = about 2 inches of flattening on the tuning pin. So it ended up being about a 30:1 ratio. I don't know if this ratio applies to the other drones.

Anyway, I hope this is helpful for anyone who wants to adjust the drone tuning on their Walsh pipes!
Oshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor