Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-17-2019, 04:17 AM   #11
PRAIRIEPIPER
Forum Member

Default Re: Drone reeds "double toning"?

I had a terrible problem with my middle drone reed double toning no matter what make of reed I put in. I tried changing drones around but no difference. Then I remembered I had drone valves in the drone stock. I checked the elastic setting and found it was too tight therefore restricting the amount of air getting to the drone reed. I slackened off the elastic and now have no more problems.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:15 AM   #12
Chris C.
Forum Silver Medal

The middle drone reed always seems to be a tricky one, for some reason. I still have issues with mine, no matter which reed I use. I've been thinking about going back to cane for the middle one. I never had issues with double toning with cane. Just all the other fun stuff. :-)
Chris C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:12 PM   #13
Piping Potential
Forum Member

My tenor would always double tone with ezzedrones. Got a new set of them, same problem. Got a set of Selbies and viola, no double tone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
I'm wondering if I should feel encouraged to take on cane, or it's just beginner's luck.
Yes, feel encouraged. Cane isn't as difficult as you might think. Downside is they like to be played often and don't hold tune as easily as synthetic. I play a cane bass and if I don't play my pipes for a couple of days the reed will shut off next time I do play. But a little pull on the tongue fixes that.
Piping Potential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 05:52 AM   #14
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Our local Grade One band piper and piping judge Charlie Lumsden used to make little spring-steel gizmos you slide inside a cane bass drone reed to spring the tongue open a bit. You can slide the gizmo in and out to adjust how open the tongue is held.

It made cane bass reeds more stable and reliable.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:54 PM   #15
DapperDan
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piping Potential View Post

Yes, feel encouraged. Cane isn't as difficult as you might think. Downside is they like to be played often and don't hold tune as easily as synthetic. I play a cane bass and if I don't play my pipes for a couple of days the reed will shut off next time I do play. But a little pull on the tongue fixes that.
Funny this thread has gotten kicked back up a few times now.
After I posted in it 3 years ago, I played cane in my drones for about a year. I didn't have many problems with them in pipe band, though people were surprised a newbie even wanted to mess with cane. The worst that would happen is that one of them would shut off. I played them in my first band competition with no issue. I keep them in a ziploc bag now though, due to not being able to get on pipes everyday anymore. I really miss how efficient they are.
At the moment I'm playing the same reeds the OP originally asked about - Henderson Harmonic Deluxe (carbon fiber tongue). I found that they were set pretty hard at the shop, and I had to move the bridles down quite a bit, so I can see why they would double tone out of the box for some players, including me. After playing them a few times they settled in, and I really like them. Quite efficient, and have a comparatively cane like sound.
DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote