Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-03-2017, 06:29 PM   #1
Wrluckie
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Shepherd S/1 GHB - what drone reeds?

Hi all, I've got a set of late 80s Shepherd S/1s that I'm currently blowing with balance tone reeds. I like the sound of the balance tone but I'm considering trying Selbies, I'm hoping to get just a little more volume out of them but not too much (they sound great indoors but wanting a happy medium for outdoor also). Like I said, I'm leaning toward selbies but seeing what everyone else might consider. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Wrluckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 10-04-2017, 09:54 AM   #2
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

Default Re: Shepherd S/1 reeds

My student has a set of Shepherds, and recently put in a set of Kinnaird Evolution reeds ... significant boost to the volume and sound, which we both really like. Ez-drone is also not to be over-looked.

We needed to bore out the reed seats though, which was a bit of a chore. Used the same reamer that one can buy for expanding the blowpipe seat to accommodate a Little Mac valve.

Consider cane reeds as well. They can be a little more finicky, but once you get them set ... as long as you're playing consistently, they'll serve you well, and the sound really can't be beat.

Cheers,
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:07 PM   #3
David D.
Forum Regular

Default Re: Shepherd S/1 GHB - what drone reeds?

I played a set of Shepherd pipes for a few years and I second the Kinnaird reeds although I used the original and not the Evolution. I think that the large carbon fiber tongue helps give a boost to the small bore bass drone.

The reeds that I tried were Ez's with an inverted bass, Nova-Cane, Henderson Harmonic Deluxe, and to me the best sounding was the original Kinnairds.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:12 AM   #4
Wrluckie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David D. View Post
I played a set of Shepherd pipes for a few years and I second the Kinnaird reeds although I used the original and not the Evolution. I think that the large carbon fiber tongue helps give a boost to the small bore bass drone.

The reeds that I tried were Ez's with an inverted bass, Nova-Cane, Henderson Harmonic Deluxe, and to me the best sounding was the original Kinnairds.

Thanks David
Do you recall having to bore out the reeds seats as Pppiper did?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-05-2017, 11:49 AM   #5
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

A guy I was teaching had bought a set of nice vintage big name pipes ...silver/ivory....late 50ís I think...the tenor reed seats had never been reamed ..so they were 8mm and straight. When I looked I then understood why he kept saying his syn reed wouldnít fit or kept falling out.

Iíve seen brand new pipes from another big maker sometimes arrive with hardly any reed seat.

I fix the issue using a Hallís 3-12mm tapered hand reamer. This is ,my understanding, the one pipe makers use to ream reed seats. $35...Ive used it many times. I got it from a mid west company at least 10 yrs ago ...itís probably available from many tool supply houses...eg Grainger.

Not sure if the reamer for lil Mac valves is too broad...big.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 12:01 PM   #6
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
Not sure if the reamer for lil Mac valves is too broad...big.
Might be ... not talking much reaming though ... about 5-9 quarter turns or so, and that was enough to allow those Kinnaird reeds to get in there nice and snug.

Beforehand, I think the only way those things would stay in would have been super glue. I'd NEVER seen such issues keeping reeds in their seats. Basically, the taper of the seat just wasn't wide enough.

Different strokes, different folks. Seemed to work well for my student. In any case though, he and I were very happy with the sound of the Kinnairds in the Shepherds (once we got them to stay in). His drones really seemed on the quiet side, and I could see he looked a bit dismayed at this (particularly in comparison to my Hendersons).

His eyes widened once we had the Kinnairds in. Some people think the volume from them is a bit much, but for him at least, it was a welcome change. I'd told him that it's surprising how much reed choice can reinvent the instrument ... he learned that lesson fully that day.
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:08 PM   #7
David D.
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrluckie View Post
Thanks David
Do you recall having to bore out the reeds seats as Pppiper did?
I didn't have t open up the reed seats. The drones were made around 2005.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:39 PM   #8
Wrluckie

Thanks for the insight everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk