Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Do It Yourself (DIY)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Do It Yourself (DIY) Making and repairing of instruments, accessories, and more.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-23-2018, 08:42 PM   #1
plainspiper
Forum Silver Medal

Default Sporran Cantles

Was there ever any info here on where you find sporran cantles for making your own dress sporrans, that were reasonably inexpensive? I've found some that are pewter and very nice from Scotland but not needing that for what I'm making to be blunt (for kid's band sporrans) we have LOTS of furs from road kills here in Colorado (possum, bobcat, skunk, coyote) and the kids are making their own. I've been searching threads but can't seem to find what I'm looking for here or on the net. Thanks for any helps.
plainspiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 07-23-2018, 09:15 PM   #2
RJB
Forum Member

Default Re: Sporran Cantles

There's a wee shop in Braemar, Scotland that sells all you need to build sporrans. Can't recall the name, but a google search may be all you need.

good luck,
RJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:59 PM   #3
plainspiper
Forum Silver Medal

thank u! will try that one--
Old 07-25-2018, 04:55 AM   #4
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I'm sure you could buy them in quantity from one of the Pakistani makers.

I was at the NAMM show and there were booths from Pakistani makers with all sorts of instruments and accessories and a couple of them had sporrans and cantles which were of pretty good quality.

I think they're all re-casts from Scottish originals, good re-casts with good detail, most of them, and very inexpensive.

Probably one of the biggest maker there is Geoffrey.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:14 AM   #5
plainspiper
Forum Silver Medal

I'll see if I can get that one contacted. That would be perfect though. I have a couple furs I want to make into primo sporrans--an oppossum and a silver fox, so those I'm going for a Scottish company I found. They have pewter cantles so I am thinking HEAVY but who knows.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:40 AM   #6
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainspiper View Post
I'll see if I can get that one contacted. That would be perfect though. I have a couple furs I want to make into primo sporrans--an oppossum and a silver fox, so those I'm going for a Scottish company I found. They have pewter cantles so I am thinking HEAVY but who knows.
I think they mean ‘pewter’ is the finish/color of the metal. Often with blackened
relief detail.
el gaitero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:24 PM   #7
plainspiper
Forum Silver Medal

I would hope that's the case. I have some pewter things here at the house, very heavy, not really that strong overall unless it was mixed with something--bendable. If its pewter colored is all that would be fantastic. I have a few things from the old Rocky Mountain Highland Supply that were silver/pewter/antiqued and they are still gorgeous to this day. I had a Pakistani supplier contact me the other day, he has a few nice sporran cantles I liked with good relief/designs on them. What I REALLY like though are the Scots cantles I found. At 75 bucks a pop I could make some very expensive and REALLY grand sporrans with the furs I have. If the raccoons keep killing our chickens here I'll have even more furs the way its going...
Old 07-26-2018, 10:20 AM   #8
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

I got a cantle for a skunk sporran I made a few years ago from a shop in Scotland that has (had?) a "design you own sporran" feature on their web page. I'll try to find the source.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:02 AM   #9
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike Waldo View Post
I got a cantle for a skunk sporran I made a few years ago from a shop in Scotland that has (had?) a "design you own sporran" feature on their web page. I'll try to find the source.
OK, it was Oct 2013,, I got cantles and tassels from https://morrison-sporrans.co.uk/shop/
Old 07-27-2018, 09:01 AM   #10
plainspiper
Forum Silver Medal

thats a really neat shop!!!!