Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Competition Results
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competition Results Post and discuss competition results here.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-18-2018, 10:54 AM   #1
DamhCabrachPiping
Forum Regular

Default So... how about the Worlds?!?

Gotta say after watching the G2 Final Im pretty excited for the results

G1 will be interesting to see how it plays out, strong field this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DamhCabrachPiping is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 08-20-2018, 02:50 PM   #2
Phil Lenihan
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: So... how about the Worlds?!?

Results

Cheers! Phil

Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot
Another day with no plans to use Calculus
Phil Lenihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:15 PM   #3
thevoidboy
Forum Member

Idea the RSPBA will do something to ensure against EUSPBA dominance next year (as they have done in years past). Probably by promoting the bands into G1, where they will languish, like many do against the big 6.

Time for 1A and 1B.
And a hard limit on performers.

-J David Hester, PhD
Alt Pibroch Club
www.altpibroch.com
thevoidboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:00 PM   #4
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Grade 2 seems dominated by North American and Irish bands.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:24 PM   #5
J.R.
Forum Silver Medal

The Dunedin scores are... whoa! Considered alongside their Maxville result, I think it can be argued that they're knocking on the door of Gr 1. Without knowing much about them (and suppressing my Northeastern bias), it looks like there might be the right combination of geography, organizational support, and leadership to provide a really strong foundation.

I know a lot of us can be skeptical when it comes to breaking the top 6, but I think it's doable. Admittedly, it won't happen when there are only one or two Gr 1s scattered across the country and they can only compete once or twice a year. If we've learned anything about piping in the US over the last 10 years alone, it's that great bands come and go so quickly. In some cases players migrate, but it does seem like there is enough talent to support multiple top tier Gr 2 (and possibly Gr 1) bands at once. And having multiple Gr 2 bands competing rather than playing for a ceremonial 1st or 2nd. There would be actual stakes at competition, not to mention healthy rivalries that encourage development.

It's going to take more than bands being good, though. We need to have a stage where great musicians can shine, and associations are going to have to start thinking about the national scene. 2 - 3 regional events (like a band-centric Winter Storm featuring a decent field of Gr 2s) would be a good start, but a huge contest somewhere in the US is a must. It would need to come with the promise of a big purse and some association level subsidies to make it pay off for bands carting 50 members across country. Something that's more than a weekend spent in a pasture with the hope of earning gas money and maybe winning enough money to cover new reeds. I'm talking about pay-for-airfare kind of money. The US might not be able to win the World's (yet), but we can are second to none when it comes to raising money.

Admittedly jumbled thoughts on a slow Wednesday, but we've got to keep stoking the fires (or at least knock the tumbleweeds out of forums like this one that are too important to stop supporting). There has to be a better way to see an American in a winning Grade 1 than by sending them to play for a Scottish band.
J.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 05:53 PM   #6
Stuart Barr
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. View Post
It's going to take more than bands being good, though. We need to have a stage where great musicians can shine, and associations are going to have to start thinking about the national scene. 2 - 3 regional events (like a band-centric Winter Storm featuring a decent field of Gr 2s) would be a good start, but a huge contest somewhere in the US is a must. It would need to come with the promise of a big purse and some association level subsidies to make it pay off for bands carting 50 members across country. Something that's more than a weekend spent in a pasture with the hope of earning gas money and maybe winning enough money to cover new reeds. I'm talking about pay-for-airfare kind of money. The US might not be able to win the World's (yet), but we can are second to none when it comes to raising money...
Take a look at the MWPBA's Chicago Games. Some great things happening in that direction. There were 9 bands in Grade 2 alone competing in both MSR and Medley events...

Stuart
Stuart Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 06:08 PM   #7
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

[QUOTE=J.R.;1330332]

The Dunedin scores are... whoa! Considered alongside their Maxville result, I think it can be argued that they're knocking on the door of Gr 1. Without knowing much about them (and suppressing my Northeastern bias),

Dont let your northeast bias interfere...the world has shrunk...

The pipe major Ian Donaldson is a transplant from upstate NY;one of the young Pipers is my former student in Nj from ground zero then medaling up into gr 3 ( who btw also won the gr 4 juvenile worlds title a few years ago) and another older piper is a former NJ grade 2 bandmate from the 80s.

Im sure there are others from without the Mason- Dixon.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 07:49 AM   #8
NoisyPiper
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Barr View Post
Take a look at the MWPBA's Chicago Games. Some great things happening in that direction. There were 9 bands in Grade 2 alone competing in both MSR and Medley events...

Stuart
Second year in a row it's been that big - I struggle to think of other North American Grade 2 contests quite that large - probably just Maxville? Not sure what the organizers are thinking at this point with the potential of at least one U.S. band moving up to Grade 1, but I know bands like Halifax are looking for more diverse competition opportunities, and Dunedin will likely need bands to sharpen their teeth on if they're bumped up. Chicago's good and central, with relatively cheap airfare.

I think it'd be neat to have an eastern, central, and western big contest for the upper grades - Maxville (or Dunedin) being east, Chicago being central, and Pleasanton, Costa Mesa, PNW, or BC Indoor being west.

Last edited by NoisyPiper; 08-24-2018 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Adding a paragraph
NoisyPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 01:10 PM   #9
Glazenn
Holy smoking keyboard!

City of Dunedin scored 6th in the MSR qualifyer (last to qualify), 12th and last in drumming (2-4-12-6). What an incredible bounce (1-1-1-1)!
Look at their band page and you will see the very strong organisation and history - in addition to very hard work and stellar leadership - that have led to their win this year.

Last edited by Glazenn; 08-24-2018 at 01:18 PM.
Glazenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:46 AM   #10
Dan Bell
Forum Clasp

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Dunedin and STA go up to grade 1 in the near future. They're both great organizations, and have been playing at a very high level consistently.

I think for the US to ultimately maintain grade 1 band(s) that have the potential of moving up the table, a few things need to happen:

1. Money. Almost all of the Scottish g1 bands have significant sponsorship. Playing at that level involves a lot of travel, and it's expensive. Our bands need a similar level of financial support, whether it comes from sponsorship or some other source.

2. Instruction. Look at what both Dunedin and St Thomas have done with regards to teaching. Ditto with SFU. That sort of thing needs to be the model. The UK bands have a lot of talent to draw from, and we need a similar pipeline. Piping and drumming will never be the same part of our culture in North America that it is in Scotland, but we need to be starting more beginners, and focusing on teaching them to a high level (not just getting them to where they can compete in the local band).

3. Stability. We need systems that remain in place long enough to take players from the beginning all the way to a world-class standard of play. In many regions of the US and Canada, bands come and go so fast that more time is spent reshuffling players than teaching them. There are lots of reasons for this (which is an essay of its own), but it needs to be curtailed. Top bands need more than a few years at a good standard to advance in grade 1. Intermediate-level bands need years of consistent focus in order to develop players who will go on to the top levels. In the lower- and middle-grades, winning prizes sometimes needs to take a back seat to longer-term thinking (player- and system-development).
Dan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote