Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-03-2018, 09:23 PM   #1
hooks
Forum Silver Medal

Default Tied notes

I have been working on a few tunes in BMW recently and I am confused as when to use say two crochets on the same note tied together to indicate two beats extending over the same note or alternatively using one minum or half note .
I have found four settings of the same tune where three use minums and the other uses tied notes.
To my uneducated way of thinking both methods indicate the same timing or am I missing something.
Please explain. Thanks.
Dave
Old 06-03-2018, 09:52 PM   #2
Anndrah
Forum Member

Default Re: Tied notes

From I think you are saying, and the terminology is very rusty for me, it is just a different way of doing the math, but the end result is the same.
Anndrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:08 AM   #3
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

There are standard rules in Western music for what option to use when, but roughly speaking, the convention is to prefer the smallest number of notes and to use dotted notes instead of ties where possible. A basic text on music theory will give the details.

I tend to break this rule occasionally in order to show beat boundaries; clarity is the golden rule above all else.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 05:55 AM   #4
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

I do not use BMW, but for notation in general: Some prefer to used tied crochets when the note goes across the beat line.

if the tune in question is adapted from a vocal score, ties and slurs are used to indicate syllables.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:08 AM   #5
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

I've seen tied notes for two reasons in pipe music:
  • When a note is held across the bar line, from one measure to another. Commonly found in long, drawn out airs, or in quicker tunes where the composer is trying to take advantage of the syncopation created by holding a note in this fashion. It's very noticeable when heard, so it's a powerful technique when used well.
  • Similar to the above, but less severe, when a note is held across beats, for example, in a 2/2 tune, half note (for beat one of the measure) tied to a quarter note (first half of the 2nd beat) ... this can alternatively be written instead as a dotted half, but for many (including myself) the tied notes are easier to read.

Cheers,
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 05:29 PM   #6
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Yes you use dotted notes whenever possible, within bars. It looks cluttered and amateurish to have a quarternote tied to an eighthnote, rather than a dotted quarternote.

Use ties to connect notes across bar lines.

The exception of course is using ties to convey timing, triplets (indicated by a tie across three notes with the number "3") which is three evenly timed notes in the time of two, and duplets, two evenly timed notes in the time of three.

(I can't remember if I've seen duplets in pipe music.)
Old 06-21-2018, 02:49 PM   #7
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

In pipe music, using ties to show the beat can be useful, especially when it's rhythms that aren't normal to pipe tunes.

Here's a video that gives an extreme example of ties and downbeats:

[Adam Neely demonstrating off-beat triplet quarternotes]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=F4TyBe6AHEI
Old 06-21-2018, 04:35 PM   #8
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
Yes you use dotted notes whenever possible, within bars. It looks cluttered and amateurish to have a quarternote tied to an eighthnote, rather than a dotted quarternote.

An exception could be where the equivalent of the dotted note starts before or after the beat- using smaller values and tied notes can make the beat clearer?
[QUOTE=pancelticpiper;1327880]
Use ties to connect notes across bar lines.

The exception of course is using ties to convey timing, triplets (indicated by a tie across three notes with the number "3") which is three evenly timed notes in the time of two, and duplets, two evenly timed notes in the time of three.

(I can't remember if I've seen duplets in pipe music.)