Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Piobaireachd
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Piobaireachd For all things related to Piobaireachd ...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-03-2018, 07:59 PM   #1
thevoidboy
Forum Member

Default Pipers Meeting

I really want to welcome the effort by Jack Taylor and Patrick Molard in rendering the Campbell Canntaireachd into staff notation. It is a thoughtful effort, and should open up these hitherto unplayed tunes to many pipers unfamiliar with Nether Lorn canntaireachd.

And yet...there are just a couple of things I wish were done differently.

First and foremost, including the canntaireachd inter-linearly. It would not only help teach canntaireachd, but also let us see what editorial decisions were made.

This latter is important, because Iím finding silent editorial changes that are completely unexpected. (Which is odd, because the authors are otherwise very explicit about their editorial changes.) And while they are justifiable, it would be a great service if we could see them being made.

One easy example: siubhal (dithis) doublings in Campbell are often (I havenít taken a survey) played with g-gracenotes, only (except on Low-A, which is consistently hinen), not g-e as we are accustomed to playing them. You wouldnít know that, reading the staff notation scores in Pipers Meeting.

Is that a big deal? Not really. But it would have been nice to have seen that change written out explicitly, giving me a choice.

I hope that a second printing comes out, and that it include the canntaireachd. That would put the final polish onto an important effort.

PS - the PIobSoc website has a number of good recordings from this book. Go check them out.

-J David Hester, PhD
Alt Pibroch Club
www.altpibroch.com

Last edited by thevoidboy; 06-03-2018 at 08:05 PM.
thevoidboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor