Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-08-2018, 01:03 AM   #1
Repip
Forum Member

Default Piper's dilemma

I own four sets of pipes. I have had to scale back my piping endeavours for a number of reasons, one of which being a spinal cord injury I incurred 3 years ago. In the future, I will be associated with a band but will only play a moderate amount I think, mostly for my enjoyment. I can only keep one set going. Which one should I keep and what do you think I should sell each of the remaining ones for?

The bagpipes

1- set of Kintails 1984 - my first set purchased for me by my parents,
2 - set of 1994 D Naills - silver & immitation ivory model DN 5a 21st birthday gift
3 - set of Lawries 100 years old - full ivory
4 - set of MD Athertons 2015 all plain silver & immitation ivory ferrules

Sets 3 & 4 probably sound the best (exceptional actually!) set 2 a close second!

Tough decision - your thoughts?

Last edited by Repip; 07-08-2018 at 01:27 AM.
Repip is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 07-08-2018, 07:04 AM   #2
Greenpipe
Forum Clasp

Default Re: Pipers dilemma

I think I would sell 1 and 3 first off. The Lawries with a heavy heart but you wouldn't want to travel across borders with them. Then keep the lighter of the Naills and Athertons. I'd say the Lawries go because, even if you don't cross borders, you probably don't want to play them in the rain sleet, hail & snow, not to mention boiling sun, that you'd face on band jobs.

From what I have seen for sale recently, I'd suggest, sticks only, you might ask $1,500.00 for the Kintails, $3,500.00 for the Naills, $4,000.00 for the Lawries and $4,500.00 for the Athertons.

Why not check with Gord at Island Bagpipes for prices.

Very sorry to hear you're forced to cut back on one of life's greatest pleasures.
Greenpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:09 AM   #3
Anndrah
Forum Member

My recent bagpipe selling experience was that a set of 84 kintail nickle and imitation ivory sold for $690. I had 3 sets I was selling and I put them on FB (bagpipes for sale, etc) I had ads here, As well as other places. I also offered them at band practice. I had no bites at all. Changed the price and still no bites. I put an ad on ebay for minimum bib of $550 and still nothing. Lowered the bid to $500 still nothing. Then I made a video clip of me playing them and started getting bids.
So dont sell them as sticks and stocks unless they dont currently have a bag.

As far as which ones to sell, just pick the set that plays the nicest, and that you enjoy playing the most and sell the rest.
Anndrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:30 AM   #4
MichiganGaidar
Forum Regular

Sell 1 and 2. Although of personal significance, they're commercial stock instruments.

3 is a relic and, given my experience with a less-renowned set of early 60's Lawries, probably an exceptional instrument.

4 is a masterpiece, no two ways about it.
MichiganGaidar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:43 AM   #5
longwind
Holy smoking keyboard!

Keep #3, no question!
Old 07-08-2018, 08:56 AM   #6
John McCain
Holy smoking keyboard!

Not having played any of your sets but similar ones, if it were me I'd keep the Athertons for a variety of reasons.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:55 PM   #7
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I would be willing look after your Lawries and Athertons at no cost to you
Old 07-08-2018, 01:28 PM   #8
moderntraditional
Forum Regular

Being practical, if the only thing you are going to be doing is band stuff, sell everything but the Naill’s. I completely understand the cachet, value and sentimentality that may be associated with the others, but what good is holding onto sets that you wouldn’t want to play in band conditions?

-J David Hester, PhD
Alt Pibroch Club
www.altpibroch.com
moderntraditional is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 03:54 PM   #9
Anndrah
Forum Member

Another thought, sell them all and buy your dream set, whatever that may be.
Anndrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 04:20 PM   #10
Steve Law
Forum Regular

Repip,

Commiserations (inadequate word) on the limitations, but to me your choice is a no-brainer.

Keep the set you enjoy playing the most.... seems to me if you move that set on you’ll always regret the loss and nothing will fix that regret.

If your chosen set is one which wouldn’t appreciate a hard life, you already have a good reason for avoiding those harsh engagements - keep playing for your own enjoyment, first and foremost, and to do that you only need your best set.

Only you can decide which set you like best and how many sets do you need anyway?

Good luck deciding
Steve Law is offline   Reply With Quote