Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Drumming > Side / Snare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Side / Snare Pipe Bands or Solo - if it relates to Drumming...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 12-18-2018, 10:11 PM   #1
Shantyboat
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Can I learn drums at my age?

Well... of course, I can, but I am a bit concerned about it. Can you reassure me?

I am thinking of joining a local pipe band that offers ten-week classes on instruments in a pipe band. I must say, I've fallen in love with the side drum after watching some videos. Never played drums, but was a classically trained musician.

I know I can learn the instrument if I practice, work hard, am motivated and all that. But any reassuring or discouraging words to add beyond that? In your humble opinion, what level of challenge would you call this? Herculean? Harsh, but you can do it. Thoughts?

I am 62 pretty soon, with the usual memory issues. No harm TRYING. But...

Thank you for your thoughts.
Shantyboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 12-19-2018, 02:45 AM   #2
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Can I learn drums at my age?

Yes, of course you can. Don't overdo it: drumming can put a fair amount of stress through your joints, and younger bodies do cope with that better than older ones. Similarly, a side drum is a bit of a weight, and not especially ergonomic. Depending on how active you are, you might want to give some thought to building some core strength to make long sessions more comfortable.

Your prior experience will be a lot of help. Just be aware that a lot of "performance practice" in drumming is not only not written down, a lot of drummers can't even verbalise it, so don't be surprised if sometimes explanations and what you see and hear don't quite match up.

There are some really good drummers out there who offer Skype tuition as well, and I'd recommend supplementing your instruction with these guys from time to time.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 07:34 AM   #3
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantyboat View Post
Well... of course, I can, but I am a bit concerned about it. Can you reassure me?

I am thinking of joining a local pipe band that offers ten-week classes on instruments in a pipe band. I must say, I've fallen in love with the side drum after watching some videos. Never played drums, but was a classically trained musician.

I know I can learn the instrument if I practice, work hard, am motivated and all that. But any reassuring or discouraging words to add beyond that? In your humble opinion, what level of challenge would you call this? Herculean? Harsh, but you can do it. Thoughts?

I am 62 pretty soon, with the usual memory issues. No harm TRYING. But...

Thank you for your thoughts.
No "buts." Many people seem to doom themselves from the get-go by letting their age be a worry. They'll essentially assume that their age will prevent them from achieving what they wish. If one assumes they won't succeed, the battle is already lost.

Youthful learners have the advantage of being able to progress whilst barely putting in any effort. That's all. Adults have determination on their side, so long as they don't talk themselves into believing they have some sort of handicap.

Please don't fall into that trap. Get some instruction, and get going. Do your best, and never assume that any level of success is unattainable. It's going to take work, and it won't be easy ... so don't let up (within reason, Calum's suggestions are thoughtful).

Age is merely a number and a common, invalid excuse for lack of progress. If you're not progressing as quickly as you'd like, practice more, make excuses less. If you have any physical issues you're dealing with, goto your physician, and talk to him/her about your goals, and discuss how to utilize their help to achieve those goals.

Sorry to sound harsh, if that's how it's coming across, but I run into this all the time. When I was the pipe major of a band of primarily "older" folks, if anyone ever referred to their age as a reason for shortcomings, they got demerits. For your intents and purposes ... any time you catch yourself cursing your age, you're to do 20 reps of all of your rudiments (https://pipebanddrummer.com/beginner-rudiments).

No excuses ... get to work, and have fun. It's a labor of love. Look forward to hearing about your progress.

Cheers,
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 08:10 AM   #4
Steve Law
Forum Regular

Nate- not harshly put at all, but what a breath of fresh air!

Get out an do it, Shanty... as Yoda said “There is no try; there is only DO!”

Maybe it will take a little more effort with more years under the belt, but achievement is 99% effort and 1% talent and the older we get the more we understand what effort means, thus levelling the scales
Steve Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 08:24 AM   #5
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Shantyboat,

Please allow me to add my voice to this chorus.

Get up!!... Get out!!... Get it done!! :)

And what a lovely time you'll have of it!! :)

Tally Ho!! :)

Pip01

Old 12-19-2018, 09:42 AM   #6
Shantyboat
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Thanks, all. I appreciate all the responses. At this point, my plan is to proceed. I'd agree age isn't an issue, except when it is. Usually, I find it a benefit. I am the happiest and most centered I have ever been. Sounds like there is no issue here due to my age. I am a bit concerned about my back, as I am just recovering from a two month long back strain. My first ever. I think the advice to get in shape is good... as it always is. Thanks for the encouragement. I was planning to go ahead... but wanted this last reality check. it is a go. I'll let you know how it all unfolds.
Shantyboat is offline   Reply With Quote