Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 12-19-2018, 01:33 PM   #1
erracht
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default An version of Cabar Feidh (the march) from old military LPs

Normally, the melody of the first bar of "Cabar Feidh" goes "high G-high A-high G-E" and there are no taorluaths anywhere in the tune. However, listen to these two old recordings of the tune from mid-20th century records (the first one is from my favorite bagpipe LP, "Scots Guards Pipes and Drums - Marches" and the second one is from "The Pipe Band of the Royal Scots Greys - Scotland's Pride"):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx0pYRwmEBk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAg2rwFd4Tw

If you listen carefully, it becomes clear that there is almost certainly no high A in the first bar (the first high G appears to be held longer and to be followed by a gracenote) and the sixth-last and fifth-last bars sound like they might be arranged differently than is typical (specifically, where there would normally be clusters of three low As with G-D-E-D gracenotes, it seems like there might be groups of two low As perhaps divided by taorluaths, though this is less clear: the Scots Guards version sounds more like there are taorluaths there, while the Royal Scots Greys version sounds like it could be either that or the standard three-note cluster with gracenotes).

I have looked high and low through the various standard settings books (no march version of Cabar Feidh in the Scots Guards Books 1 and 2, unfortunately), various versions online including on Ceol Sean, etc and have not found a single setting of the Cabar Feidh march that would lack the high A in the opening bar or include groups of two low As and taorluaths near the end. Does anyone have a setting that bears out the features that I have described above? Or am I hearing things?

P.S. Just a thought - could this military arrangement perhaps come from the 1936 Army Manual Of Bagpipe Tunes?
Old 12-19-2018, 03:53 PM   #2
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: An version of Cabar Feidh (the march) from old military LPs

I have to disagree, to be honest - I can hear the high A quite clearly, followed by a flick on the F as normal in both recordings.

For the last part, yes, I agree some at least of the pipers are playing taorluaths on A. I don't think they all are. The Scots Greys recordings they are playing GDEs.

I have the Army book 1 in front of me and there's nothing remarkable in there (it was all set by Willie Ross, so should be no surprises!)
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 06:34 PM   #3
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I listed to the first recording, and I'm with Calum, I hear the High A's in the first bar clearly. True they're quick! But in general they're really holding the dotted notes, that initial High G is no exception.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:43 PM   #4
erracht
Holy smoking keyboard!

This is beginning to sound like the "Laurel or Yanny" debate (I clearly heard "Laurel"). I carefully listened to both recordings but still couldn't find any hint of an "A". I believe that's what you heard (and I agree that they're holding the dotted notes - this could easily have contributed to it). I wonder if the F gracenote absorbed the A, so to speak.

On listening to the Royal Scots Greys recording again, I can indeed hear the three low As interspersed by gracenotes better. Again, I think they were indeed holding the dotted notes.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:41 AM   #5
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erracht View Post
I wonder if the F gracenote absorbed the A, so to speak.

Generally speaking, it's often the case that a "gracenote" is actually longer than the "melody" note. For example, an ACE sequence in a 6/8 march, with a D gracenote on the C, will always have the D sounding longer than the C - but our ears trick us into hearing it as an ACE arpeggio.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 12:30 AM   #6
erracht
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post
Generally speaking, it's often the case that a "gracenote" is actually longer than the "melody" note. For example, an ACE sequence in a 6/8 march, with a D gracenote on the C, will always have the D sounding longer than the C - but our ears trick us into hearing it as an ACE arpeggio.

Very interesting. I found a way of slowing down the video, by opening it in Chrome and choosing a slower playback from the settings for the video. The sound quality was awful, and I only had the nerves to listen to the Scots Guards one, but when I did this, I noted that there did seem to be a high A - very briefly - in the repeat of that phrase (and there were times in the past when I thought I might have heard it in that exact place); also, the first of the three places where I thought there could be a taorluath did seem to have the gracenotes you would expect there, while the third such place still sounded like a taorluath to me. This has been quite an exercise.