Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 12-27-2018, 07:14 AM   #1
talisker
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Guitar chords for pipe tunes

My teenage son has been practicing guitar as well as pipes for a year or so. He loves it and is quite decent, but is still a little distance away from working out chords by himself. Iím no help with guitar, and heís not taking formal lessons right now as heís already over-committed. Was wondering if anyone could point us toward resources for guitar chords for lively bagpipe tunes that we could play together on border pipes and guitar (Irish trad/ Alan Macdonald/ Gordon Duncan stuff etc?) BTW, i have no wish to infringe anyoneís copyright and am happy to pay for suitable tune-books etc.
thanks very much for any help with this question.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
talisker is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 12-27-2018, 09:36 AM   #2
Adam Sanderson

Default Re: Guitar chords for pipe tunes

If Border Pipes are being used, may I suggest Suggested Session Tunes from the Lowland & Borders Pipers Society? 68 well known pipe tunes, all with guitar chords included, (and it's a very cheap price too).
Adam Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 10:17 AM   #3
thePhotopiper

I did some heavy searching on this forum for this very topic a few months ago when I started learning the guitar. I've been piping for 10 years now and wanted to create my own backing tracks with guitar. I'm also teaching my girlfriend how to play guitar while I pipe.

This link is probably the most informative that I've found, but it's a little heavy on music theory, which I'm quite bad with.
http://www.themacleods.net/qanda/skmqa019.htm

An here is an old thread that discusses it a bit as well
http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/.../t-140442.html

What I've come to learn is that essentially, if you put a capo on the second fret and play A, G, D, and sometimes E, than many tunes will sound good.

This works well with the practice chanter as well.
thePhotopiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 03:08 PM   #4
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Capo 2 brings the guitar ( or banjo, or whatever) up a half step, so A=Bflat, putting you close to bagpipe tuning ( or dead-on if you have either an older late '60s-'70s chanter or a modern B flat chanter).
Old 12-28-2018, 04:34 PM   #5
PGH
Forum Member

Your best bet is getting an accurate guitar tuner that shows MHz and tune it exactly to your bagpipes. I had to do that with a keyboard for a Easter service, where she could dial in to the exact MHz of my pipes. Sounded great
FYI, when you capo a guitar you lose low tone the higher you capo on the fret board
PGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 04:51 PM   #6
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH View Post
Your best bet is getting an accurate guitar tuner that shows MHz and tune it exactly to your bagpipes. I had to do that with a keyboard for a Easter service, where she could dial in to the exact MHz of my pipes. Sounded great
FYI, when you capo a guitar you lose low tone the higher you capo on the fret board
FWIW, it's Hz (1 Herz= 1 cycle per second) MHz is Megaherz, 1MILLION cycles per second- like FM radio frequencies.
FYI yes, one loses tone, but not a heck of a lot of loss on the second fret. One may even tune up a half-step, but I would not advise tuning up higher than that.

Last edited by Klondike Waldo; 12-28-2018 at 04:54 PM.
Klondike Waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 05:22 PM   #7
PGH
Forum Member

Correct Hz, autocorrect is my enemy. Just try different methods and see what sounds best to you.
PGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 06:21 PM   #8
Tim | Birchen
Forum Regular

In case it helps, the following feature suggested chord symbols above the melody lines (for guitarists and other accompanists):
Note that these suggestions are in line with the written pipe music, so if the piper is playing these tunes on a B-flat [i.e. standard practice or Highland] chanter, or a C- or D-smallpipe chanter, the accompanist will need to transpose the chords accordingly. For example, a guitarist should capo up 1 fret for B-flat chanters, 3 frets for C chanters, and 5 frets for D chanters.

Originally posted by Klondike Waldo:
>Capo 2 brings the guitar ( or banjo, or whatever) up a half step, so A=Bflat, putting you close to bagpipe tuning ( or dead-on if you have either an older late '60s-'70s chanter or a modern B flat chanter)...
I think you meant capo 1, Bob?

~ Tim
Tim | Birchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 04:22 AM   #9
Adam Sanderson

Guys, if you read the original post, the OP is asking about playing guitar along with border pipes. Border pipes are nearly always in concert A and can play high b, c',and c#' and the minor third crossfingering that gives c natural instead of a c sharp.

There should be no need for capos or music theory, the border pipe is designed to play along with other instruments, and does so quite happily in many sessions here in Scotland.

I stand by my original suggestion of the Lowland and Border Pipers' Society session book, 68 well known pipe tunes, all with guitar chords included, just play them off the page. Once you get the hang of how the guitar and border pipes fit together, it's fairly easy to work out how the guitar arrangements sit, and then do your own for other tunes. The main chords you'll need for a border pipe with an A chanter are A, G, D and E, with an occasional E minor, F# minor and B minor.

Edit. Video example of border pipes & guitar. No capo needed.

Last edited by Adam Sanderson; 12-29-2018 at 06:33 AM.
Adam Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 06:08 AM   #10
talisker

Many thanks for the helpful comments - Iíll check out the kind recommendations from Adam and Tim. As Adam said (I should have included it in the original post) my border pipes are in A. I found arrangements of chords for the Gordon Duncan tunes Jock Broonís 70th and Blow My Chanter which work well without a capo for the tunes as written in his book. Weíre having fun with these and will check out some of the suggestions here. As he improves, Iím sure heíll manage to work things out by himself. Many thanks everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
talisker is offline   Reply With Quote