Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-06-2019, 08:21 AM   #1
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Hijaz scale, Israeli tunes

There are many more scales than the familiar Major, minor, Mixolydian, and so forth.

One is the scale called Hijaz Makam, Ahavah Rabboh, or Freygish.

It has a Major 3rd but a minor 2nd. The upper half of the scale is an ordinary minor scale with minor 6th and 7th.

In Western Art Music terminology it's called the Harmonic minor scale. This of course is a misnomer because the scale has a Major 3rd.

In any case it can be heard in Israeli, Arabic, and Bulgarian music (and I'm sure many other musics).

Here's a quick video I did showing this scale on the Highland pipes and two tunes which use this scale, the folk dances Zemeratik and Hava Nagila.

(As you can see I'm in the bathroom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeqIktkn7Ls

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 01-06-2019 at 08:58 AM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 01-06-2019, 08:51 AM   #2
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Hijaz scale, Israeli tunes

Sorry I should have explained what the Hijaz Makam/Freygish/Ahava Rabboh scale on the Highland chanter consists of:

Low G, Low A, B flat, C sharp, D, E, F natural, High G, High A.

The notes in boldface aren't normal Highland pipe notes.

I hear pipers all the time playing Hava Nagila using C natural and ordinary B when the scale in fact has the B flattened and the chanter's ordinary C (C sharp). I think they're hearing that there's a flattened note somewhere, and they happen to put it in the wrong place.

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 01-06-2019 at 08:56 AM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 11:19 AM   #3
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Only two native to the GHB I can think of - Gordon Duncan's The Belly Dancer, and Fraser Fifield's Glen Kabul. Both very effective tunes.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 11:54 AM   #4
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Very informative, thank you!
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 02:20 PM   #5
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
SNIP

In Western Art Music terminology it's called the Harmonic minor scale. This of course is a misnomer because the scale has a Major 3rd.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeqIktkn7Ls

In Western Art Music terminology Harmonic Minor ( A, B, Cnat, D, E Fnat G# A) as opposed to Natural Minor evolved to allow a V7-I resolution in an otherwise n minor tune. It solved a harmonic problem. it also created a melodic problem in that it had a (very foreign-sounding) augmented 2nd between the 6th and 7th steps- not so bad going up, but "alien" coming down. So…… then we had the Melodic Minor Scale to solve that problem- (A B Cnat D, E, F#, G# A) going up and the Natural minor scale coming down.

At least that's what was drilled into us Music Majors in Theory and Harmony classes a lifetime ago.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:46 PM   #6
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Just to avoid any confusion - the hijaz scale is the same as starting on the fifth degree of the harmonic minor. Whether that makes them the same thing is a question I leave to the floor...
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:19 PM   #7
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Yes I took music theory at university too... what I was alluding to is that people schooled in Western music, when confronted with Hijaz mode, invariably call it Harmonic minor. Same scale, different purpose...
Old 01-07-2019, 05:41 AM   #8
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
Yes I took music theory at university too... what I was alluding to is that people schooled in Western music, when confronted with Hijaz mode, invariably call it Harmonic minor. Same scale, different purpose...
…And different starting point, making it the harmonic minor equivalent of Mixolydian mode