Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Do It Yourself (DIY)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Do It Yourself (DIY) Making and repairing of instruments, accessories, and more.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-24-2019, 11:39 AM   #1
renaissanceguy
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Repair of bass drone

My son's has a cracked bass drone - he owns Dunfion pipes.

My first dumb question (I am not a piper - I just pay the bills) : are all pipes fitted out the same? If we cannot get this repaired, is it crazy to think I'd be able to order a replacement bass drone online? Or is sizing proprietary in some way?
Also, does anyone have a suggestion on where we could send it for repair? I already emailed C. E. Kron & Co. but got no reply.
Many thanks for any guidance offered ~
renaissanceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-24-2019, 01:33 PM   #2
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Repair of bass drone

Yes, most makers should be able to copy the part inside and out to a reasonable standard.

Which state/country are you in?
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 01:35 PM   #3
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by renaissanceguy View Post
My son's has a cracked bass drone - he owns Dunfion pipes.

My first dumb question (I am not a piper - I just pay the bills) : are all pipes fitted out the same? If we cannot get this repaired, is it crazy to think I'd be able to order a replacement bass drone online? Or is sizing proprietary in some way?
Also, does anyone have a suggestion on where we could send it for repair? I already emailed C. E. Kron & Co. but got no reply.
Many thanks for any guidance offered ~
I believe C. Kron is not so much into pipes repair ...anymore. No,..all pipes are pretty much not the same. You might reach out to Dunfion to ask about buying a replacement...likely the part will look the same ...except any imm. Ivory color might be off. I’d recommend to call them after tee-ing up the conversation with an e mail or two.
Suggest also reach out to Roddy Maclellan in NC. or Brian Donaldson in ?? WI,..Both top shelf USA based oipemakers. Ask if they could duplicate the part..reusing the mounts or a repair. You’ll save a ton on postage and get a respectable repair or replacement. E mail them all pictures of the problem.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:39 AM   #4
BGP
Forum Regular

Yes contact Dunfion first.

Michael MacHarg also does good repair work he is in VT.
BGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:01 AM   #5
Kevin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Were exactly is the crack? If it is a tuning pin, repair (by replacing the pin) would likely be an economical option. If the break is more serious, replacing the whole part with a new one from the pipe maker would be my preferred option.

Good luck with it.
Kevin
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote