Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-15-2020, 08:42 AM   #31
John Dally
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Would you purchase your Blair electronic chanter again?

I have owned the Deger I and II, and was always frustrated by the sound and sensitivity. I have owned several different versions of the Fagerstrom. The one I have now has both SSP and NSP. It is a great tool for practicing NSP.

I bought a Blair chanter from Murray about two months ago, and I absolutely love it as a practice instrument. It feels more natural to me than the other electronic chanters I've played, and the sounds are much more pleasant. The sensors do take some time and effort to dial in, but after starting over from factory settings a couple of times I find that it's well dialed in now.

Two things I've found. 1) It works best with a good light source. 2) It works best with a fully charged battery.
Old 08-15-2020, 12:23 PM   #32
super8mm
Forum Regular

I really like my Blair for practicing when I need to be quiet.

My only down side is his customer support. I bought mine from Murray at Winter Storm last year and he said to send him a email and he would send me a link to the updates for it. He never replied back.

I sent him another message last May about a problem I was having and he has never replied to that one either.
super8mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 02:52 PM   #33
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom MacKenzie View Post
I second this. It was always a struggle to get the Blair to actually work consistently. I sold it after 6 weeks or so. tomm
Same. It sounded fantastic.. but continuously gave me issues no matter what I tried or adjusted. It's a good attempt and to be sure I applaud Murray Blair.

However, in my own opinion is it incredibly overpriced and in the end I'm not a practice chanterer, I am a Highland piper. Give me something electronic that is actually a highland chanter body with proper waist level playing ergonomics to match the muscle memory and feel of the instrument I'm actually practicing (in quiet) for.
Old 08-17-2020, 02:12 PM   #34
Jim McGillivray

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dally View Post

Two things I've found. 1) It works best with a good light source. 2) It works best with a fully charged battery.
Bingo.

JM
jimmcg@piping.on.ca
Jim McGillivray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 05:54 AM   #35
Murray Blair
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by super8mm View Post
I really like my Blair for practicing when I need to be quiet.

My only down side is his customer support. I bought mine from Murray at Winter Storm last year and he said to send him a email and he would send me a link to the updates for it. He never replied back.

I sent him another message last May about a problem I was having and he has never replied to that one either.
Hi super8mm, can you reach out again and I'll also dig through the emails to see what's happened and where they are. I've also PM'ed.
Re: updates, the current firmware is 1.13 released 2019. There are additional instrument downloads available, 12 in total and growing, all available here: https://blairbagpipes.com/downloads/
Murray Blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 06:11 AM   #36
super8mm
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray Blair View Post
Hi super8mm, can you reach out again and I'll also dig through the emails to see what's happened and where they are. I've also PM'ed.
Re: updates, the current firmware is 1.13 released 2019. There are additional instrument downloads available, 12 in total and growing, all available here: https://blairbagpipes.com/downloads/
It took a couple of weeks but I googled enough I get my answers. Thanks
super8mm is offline   Reply With Quote