Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-03-2020, 07:40 PM   #21
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Kilgour Edinburgh pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Søren E. Larsen View Post
There is a relatively large number of Kilgour pipes in Denmark.
I'm guessing it's because Robert Kilgour moved there in 1979, from what I read.

As a prominent piper he would probably have had an impact on the local piping scene, perhaps gaining a number of students.

If he played Kilgour pipes (why not?) the people hearing him, his students and others might want Kilgour pipes for themselves.

That's how it works around here. There was a certain Pipe Major who sold Kintail pipes to his students, so in that region you see loads of old Kintails.

Sometimes at a Games you can guess where a piper is from by what make of pipes he/she plays.
Old 07-04-2020, 07:59 AM   #22
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post

As a prominent piper he would probably have had an impact on the local piping scene, perhaps gaining a number of students.

If he played Kilgour pipes (why not?) the people hearing him, his students and others might want Kilgour pipes for themselves.

That's how it works around here. There was a certain Pipe Major who sold Kintail pipes to his students, so in that region you see loads of old Kintails.

Sometimes at a Games you can guess where a piper is from by what make of pipes he/she plays.
Very good point! I remember, perhaps 11 years ago, doing a workshop for a group that wanted to start a band in their area. They all had started with the same instructor (who, by the way, should never be instructing!!). Everyone of them had McCallum pipes and the same set-up, as per his 'dictate'. His set-up suggestions were awful (for newbies); but at least he advised them to get pipes from a reputable maker!

By the way, it's delicate to inform such a group that their instructor taught them all wrong in many areas (e.g., They were taught that a D throw is done by simply wiggling all the fingers on the right hand really fast). Ohhhhkay!
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:26 AM   #23
Søren E. Larsen
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post

Richard, that’s for sure the reason why.
Old Today, 04:53 AM   #24
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquusRacer View Post
it's delicate to inform such a group that their instructor taught them all wrong in many areas (e.g., They were taught that a D throw is done by simply wiggling all the fingers on the right hand really fast).
Wow.

Many years ago my old PM said "hop in my car! I'm going to show you something you won't believe!"

We eventually arrived at a band's practice hall. There were newbies getting instruction with practice chanters. The teacher told them to ignore all the gracenotes in the music, saying "those are only for competition".

It was worse when they got out their pipes. None of them knew about tuning, they just assembled their pipes with the drones at whatever height and started playing. The cacophony of a room-full of randomly pitched chanters and drones cannot be imagined by one who hasn't heard it.

The first time through the first part of every tune was the same, consisting of howling and screeching drones and chanters (nobody knew how to strike in) but by the repeat of the first part enough of the pipers were on board that you could just make out what tune it was.

My PM looked on it as being tremendously entertaining.

Last edited by pancelticpiper; Today at 04:55 AM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:58 PM   #25
Andrew Lenz

Thanks, Richard, that is quite the story!

And we wonder why some people hate the bagpipes...!

Andrew

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." ---Mark Twain
Andrew Lenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:11 PM   #26
Toxpert
Forum Regular

Many years ago...there came upon a southwest games, a rather tall young man with a striking appearance wearing a full military kit. Spats, diced hose tops, plaid, cross belts, doublet, feather bonnet, etc. He clutched a set of pipes under his arm....pipes with pipe bag matching his kit.

The rest of us were decked out in comparatively pedestrian Prince Charlie jacketed competition dress. The games organizer barely noticed us....she was, however, simply gob-smacked with that young man.

Oh how he liked to pose for the pictures. He would toss his pipes up on his shoulder, hold his chanter like a bicycle handgrip and pump up his chest with chin raised high. No one ever saw his lips get near the blow pipe of his pipes. No one...ever. When encountering a piper or group of pipers at the games...he would suddenly disappear.

Oh how he liked to pose for the pretty pictures.
Toxpert is offline   Reply With Quote